Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does Screaming In a Song hurt your Vocal Chords?

Hey well im a big fan of screamo Rock bands.Basically Flyleaf,Linkin' Park,Disturbed Etc Etc and on ocassion i do some screaming when i sing along with some of there songs.My friend told me to stop doing it cuz its breaking my vocal chords.Is she right? And if she is is there a right way to scream without breaking vocal chords?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can damage your vocal chords and there is a right way but it's really hard and takes years of practice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It can really hurt your voice, but not immediately.
    You have to REALLY take care of your voice, like if your throat hurts even a little DON'T even try to sing/scream, and talk a little as possible.
    My brother's lead in a sreamo band callled EMINATION (who are AMAZING) and if he isn't careful it could damage his vocal cords permanantly.
    Only if you're totally braindead could you misuse your voice so badly, even when it hurts and you use it, could you totally lose your voice beyond any repair.
    I don't reccomend total screaming, but something like flyleaf where she sings some or scream background.

Unregistered

screaming

If you scream right, it shouldnt even feel like its coming out of your throat. it should seem like its coming from the roof of your mouth or even your nose. thats how it is for me, anyway. but if you strain your throat and vocal chords, you can cause serious damage. Just work on projecting it from the roof of your mouth.

Unregistered

just wondering

hay do you by chance like potatoes, cause if you do i have whats wrong with you ....who listens to those bands any more just ask ill tell you...

Unregistered
    all the screams in those bands aren't really screaming, they are using their false vocal cords. when you get really mad or you get scared and you scream, that's nothing like a metal scream. if you try screaming like your mad or scared in a song, that's how you ruin your voice and will hurt extremely badly. If you were ever mad and mad a sigh, but is not like a "ahhh" sigh, but more of "ughhhh" sound and you feel vibration in your neck, that's how screams are formed. at that point its a matter of changing the pitch to high or low depending on what your trying to scream to. if you use the method i told you, your throat will be a tiny bit sore for the first time (like waking up with a dry throat kind of pain), and it goes away in minutes. after that you should be able to scream like that with no pain what so ever. hope this helps