How can I make my computer stay connected to the internet -reloaded windows

RAVENHODGES

May 23, 2008
last night & now it isn't right ? A friend reloaded my computer last night and now if I'm away from my computer for any length of time, it disconnects from the internet for some reason.I have tried to reset the modem but that didn't work.Does anyone know what I can do to fix this.I am having to unhook the power and re hook it to the back of the modem every time it does it and it's tiring on my nerves and I can't find my buddy to help me again.Help !

Next time your online (like now) make sure theres no programs running that need internet and then look at your modem and make sure the lights for traffic (upload/download) arnt flashing frantically. If there not then that can basically rule out anything dodgy on your computer (some dodgy things wont get activated until computer has been rebooted).

If your sure you clean of adware/spyware (use program like Lavasoft Ad-aware and Spybot S+D) and viruses (hopefully you will have your own anti-virus installed) then if you definately have your network drivers installed i would contact your internet service provider (ISP) - it could be a problem their end.

It sound like your friend used your recovery discs. I wouldn't be suprised if there were other devices that might need tweaking as well. I myself have a scanner,video card and monitor that all have "special" drivers. But for your modem i would go to device manager and remove it, then use the install disc your service provider gave you when you picked up the broadband service.

Back