Adapter question?- NOT converters!?

Poppy

May 17, 2008
Why does an adapter have a fuse in it? [I mean an ADAPTER (ie to change one shape plug to another shape plug, NOT something that converts voltage, *NOT* a CONVERTER (ie something that converts charge)

I use an adapter for my computer (which can be used on either voltage and does NOT need voltage conversion) and it has a fuse in it, for some reason the charger for my computer (which has a US plug, Im in UK) stopped working with that adapter, is it because the fuse blew in that adapter? i seem to be able to use other adapters, (hence why i can ask this question lol) but it will NOT work in the original adapter anymore- why not? if i change the fuse will it work again? WHY do adapters need fuses if they only convert plug shape and has NOTHING to do with voltage conversion? thanks

In the UK the fuse is fitted in the plug, assuming you are talking 13A type, so every cable plugged in to the wall is protected as long as the right fuse is fitted. Elsewhere the protection is not in the plug, but is in the house wiring, so if you plug in a continental or US style plug directly there is no fuse. That's why the adaptor has a fuse. If you are using an adaptor sold for shavers it will have a low rated fuse in it, so expect it to blow sooner or later. Otherwise some proper adapters are not made quite as well as they could be, and poor connections are not unknown

Fuses are there for safety and should always be the lowest rate possible so that they blow before your wiring or equipment blows. Change the fuse and see if it works. Better still get a new adapter and ask advice about fuse rating!

Back