Guinea pig food - which is better?

Kat

May 11, 2008
What is better for my pets - guinea pig muesli mix or guinea pig pellets and why?

I feed mine just the pellets, but I supplemement their diet with lots of fruit and veggies!!!

both are as good has each other. The pellets are compressed with all the goodness inside, same with the muesil, but its dried instead of compressed. I would still give them fresh veg like carrots and the off cuts from cabbage/greens, any off cuts of veg really, but dont give them lettuce, it gives them a stomach upset, and make sure you put out plenty of water.

For young piggies, under a year, look for a good quality pellet with alfalfa. After a year, the amount of alfalfa hay in the pellets should be reduced, as it's high in calcium and calories.

A plain timothy based pellet, supplemented with timothy hay, and fresh fruits and veggies, is your healthiest bet. Most guinea pig mixes contain a lot of "extras" that have a lot of fat and not a lot of nutritional value, which would best be replaced with dark leafy greens, oranges, and the like.

Remember that many guinea pellets have Vitamin C added, which like humans, guinea pigs can not manufacture, so they need in their diet.

Back