Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to keep cats from defecating in animal taxis in long car trip?

I did a 636 miles trip from the Virginia mountains to Orlando, FL, yesterday, returning home with my three cats in three separate taxis. My 14 year old cat had no problem and rested quietly in his taxi the whole trip. My other two cats, who are almost one year old, defecated in their taxis within the first 30 miles of the trip. One was quite vocal about it. I stopped and cleaned out their taxis but didn't get all of it. This caused both cats to drool and one even hyperventilated until I got rid of all of the feces and opened the windows to eliminate the smell from their taxis. After 100 miles things settled down and all three cats were quiet, for most of the time, apparently relaxed.

I am not planning any more long trips for a year but I would appreciate any suggestions for the future. The car, Toyota Camry, doesn't have all that much room in the back seat for more than three cat taxis, a litter box on the floor on one side and a food feeder and water bowl on the other side

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow..thats a long drive!
    This is what I think happened. Older cat probably has better control over bodily functions and does not get motion sickness.
    The younger cats, probably suffered a touch of carsickness which would make them more likely to throw up and/or defecate/ urinate in their carrier. Drooling is a dead giveaway of carsickness in cats. Opening the windows could have helped them much as it does carsick people.

In the future, do not feed them for 12 hours before traveling. Water is fine..but no food. Ask your vet for an oral tranquilizer (Prom-Ace works well) he may even suggest dramamine. To help them stay calm and relaxed while driving.

Downloads
    Uploads
    oIt's really hard not to, especially since it's such a looong ride, they need to eat, therefore, they need to poo. I put pee pee pads and paper towels in my cat's taxi, so if he does pee or poo, it's easier to clean. I also carry some oust or febreeze, some antibacterial wipes, kitty wipies, and bags with me for the ride to make it a lot more pleasant.