Walmart Question: Elderly people working at Walmart (usually greeting people)?...

S

Starlet

...What's their story?
I mean why are they working (i dont want to ask them, it may be a sad reason,husband died, etc.)

They are probably still working because when they were young they didn't save up for retirement and don't have any skills or education to do something else, or because they need the extra money for medical bills and prescription drugs.

I like the way the smile and greet me, when I go to the store.
I think that social security does not pay them enough and some must have to work to make ends meet.
Some just like to keep busy. I guess it gives them some place to go every day.

Maybe they still need to work to make ends meet or they are bored at home. I think it's great to see older people still in the workforce myself. They are usually better at customer service.

I think that Walmart is one of the better employers for elderly.
Most work because they have retired from the rat race business world....but not quite ready for the rocking chair.
Many do it for the extra income, but I think most go back to work just for the social contact and having something to do.
The ones that do not work at Walmart, volunteer at the hospitals, or nursing homes. It really is a good balance of things.....Good for them for getting out there.
I think it is admirable that they are keeping active, and I for one think of my own Parents and Grandparents every time I see them.....thank you for your question.

why don't you walk up to one and ask? they (like many elderly) probably have a very interesting story to tell.

Back