Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to downsize my car any ideas for quick hatchbacks?

I am a car nut and i am driving a pretty fast car at the moment. It also looks good, its got alloys, loud exhaust, bodykit and everything. Thing is due to financial reasons I have to get a new car with a smaller engine, about a 1.4L so my tax will be cheaper and petrol won't cost so much. Want a hatchback of some kind,somethin pretty small anyway. and was just wondering are there any cars out there that are still nippy and fun to drive with a 1.4 engine that looks good and won't cost a fortune 2nd hand. I have a few ideas, VW Golf, Honda Civic, I like these cars. But are they in any way quick at 1.4? Not too bothered about top speed right now, its more acceleration Im worried about.

I need to be sensible, but don't wanna be really bored with it down the line.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in the same boat - I have a black 2ltr Audi A4 - It drives beautifully and looks great but it drinks petrol and I have to drive 25 miles a day to work and back (after my employer moved from 2 miles from my home!!) I have considered a Civic (not keen on Golfs) - the problem with the Civic is the sports version looks great whilst the standard models don't. It's like two different cars. A Ford Focus is a great car - comes out tops in everything but the problem is that it has a Ford badge on the front! Have you considered an Audi A3 - nice cars but even second hand they are expensive and when things go wrong (which they don't very often with an Audi - repairs can be expensive). I have also looked at the Toyota Yaris - tiny but go for the T3 sporty one and its a nice car. The Corsa is a nice little hatch back. I did consider a Seat Leon but had the same problem as the the Civic - I only liked the sports version which defeats the whole object of getting a new car!. Wha about a Peugot? If you go for a black or grey car with three doors not five you can still get a sporty looking car with a smaller engine and cheaper tax etc. In the end, I have decided for now to keep my Audi as I just can't decide what to get!

Downloads
    Uploads
    golf is pretty fast but costs a bit more than small cars. eg the ford ka is pretty nippy. especially in second gear. cheap insurance and tax 13 hundred cc. i have had 3 and dont want to change. my old cars include a mg 1500 midget. rover p6 3500 v8. and rover 2000tc. and i cant afford this sort now as i am retired.
    fiesta 1300 are quite good too, still got my 3rd ka. red great.