Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    James H

Sauce recipe for "mexican hot" burgers?

A restaurant in Herkimer NY was well known for its "Mexican Hots", which were apparently hamburger patties topped with their secret sauce. This sauce was brown in color, pretty thick, and contained onions. That's all I know. The restaurant closed and the second new owner supposedly used the original sauce recipe, but I didn't try them because they were too expensive. The restaurant is closed again, and I don't know if I will ever get to have one again. I've been looking elsewhere for something that tastes this good, but no luck so far. I heard a rumor that the sauce will be available in jars some time in the future, but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone have a recipe that might be close? I might have to tweak it a little, but I need a starting point. Thanks for any help.

luv4mysolider

TP's

I'm assuming you are speaking of TP's. I don't know their recipe but even though they were good, there's better Mexican Hots out there. Best I know in the area, except for my gma's at the diner she used to run in Salisbury is Green Acres in Dolgeville. They are only open seasonally so you gotta get them in when you can and I believe last I was there they were only about $2.75 a mexican hot.

Unregistered
    ANY WORD ON THAT RECIPE? I AM LOOKING FOR IT TOO...

SUZANNE
    [email protected]

Unregistered
    I am also from the valley and a big fan of mexican hots. Melrose in Frankfort sells mexican hot mix you can make into patties and cook, they are pretty good. Kelly's meat market in Little Falls also has the mix as well as a sauce you can buy. Both worth a try if you are craving Mexican hots. I will ask around and see if i can find a recipe for them. you can email me at [email protected] and i will share the results of my search for the recipe!

Unregistered

Component good food

This is a blast from the past for me. I am going to grill up some Mexican Hots this Memorial Day weekend (God Bless the veteran). I would go to TP's in Herkimer on a regular basis, their style was regular burger with a superb hot salsa on top. Must have been home made, was real good.

I lived in Dolgeville till I was 12 and was best friends with the owners of the owner's of Green Acres. Was the Stewart family. Not sure who owns it nowdays.

Lived near Kelly's too in LF, bout a block away. Their Mexican Hots are a little greasey last I checked couple years ago.

Now I live in Dallas, TX. I did come across this recipe and there are variants.

1 lb. ground beef
    1 small onion
    3/4 c.bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp. sage
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
    1 green pepper
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. salt 3/4 tsp. cinnamon

But I have not tried this one yet...let's keep on it and post the perfect recipie.

-dd