Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GaryBeals

Anyone ever heard of "Great White Shark" wine?

I don't know if it is still around, but am strangely curious. It is (was?) extremely cheap, and used to have a label that literally looked like it was drawn with coloured pencil. I'd like to know if it is still around in liquor stores, and how much it goes for. I cannot find anything about it online(!)

Let me add that this wine would be considered pure swill to any serious wine drinker; equivalent to something like Thunderbird. I just got it in my head for some reason; have never tried it. I remember being amused by the cheaply made labels that were affixed to the bottles!

Pontac
    I think I remember this wine when I was gathering labels for my book, but I couldn't get an answer from the winery, and now I can't find any details of it.

There are several labels that have sharks on them. I think the best is 'White Pointer' which the shark can be seen through the wine when it is chilled. See C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My Documents\Web-Sites\Winelabels\labels6.htm

Golfer greg Norman has a line sketch of a Great White on his wine labels -- see http://www.wineskinny.com/past_issues/richard/richard031201.htm

And other wines that featured sharks have been and gone, including 'Pool Shark's (picture of sharks playing pool) from Meeker Winery and Great White - see http://www.cdnn.info/eco/e040819a/e040819a.html

higgins
    its called great white its known where i live as shark piss and its 14.99 i just bought some yesterday haha its in a green bottle with a great white shark on the label

Unregistered
    Is there ever Great White... tastes terrible but does the trick with its cheap price tag... I am currently writting a song about the stuff

Unregistered
    it's made in truro, nova scotia, and is listed as a 'port wine'. we drink it as a hard liquor, and usually mix it (we find gingerale to be delightful with it). i used to drink it semi-often when i lived in pei, but can't seem to find it at the lcbo's in toronto... we're thinking about requesting it, though we'd be apt to have to buy a lot to justify their order, i would imagine.

Azures

Gun Shark Piss...

HAHAHA Shark Piss,Get off welfare,get a job,and buy alcohol.Great White is as Dirty as your mother.

Unregistered
    I live in Moncton NB Canada, and the wine is available here. Its 9.50$ 1 litre and 11.50$ 1.5 litre for this 20% disaster of a wine. the extra 2 bucks for the half litre is well worth the bargain. I buy it regularly, if you want some pictures of the labels or anythign shoot me an email. [email protected]

Unregistered
    Please Kindly Let Me Know The Stores That I Can Buy From.either Their Phone Numbers Or Emails Because I Love This Wine And Cant Find It In Montreal.thanks So Much.eddie

Unregistered
    I'm a clerk with the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation and I can confirm that Great White is still kicking around. From what I've heard, it's vile stuff and logically 20% alcohol on a white wine can only impart an ungodly taste. I think you could classify it best as fortified wine, as I can't see why it would taste anything like even the cheapest port or sherry - being of a different style and all. Regardless, seems like a drunk's best friend.

I must say, though, that Great White has a sweet label. That is one lo-fi shark. How can you not love it?

Here comes the "bad" news. The NLC has delisted Great White and all remaining quantities have been reduced to clear. I served an old lady last week who bought six 1.5L bottles in the one shot and I'm sure her liver was crying inside as she left the checkout. Now's the time for a snap trip to St. John's before Great White goes extinct!

dollabillyal

Devil white shark wine

I am from nova scotia and when I was in high school we used to down this wine and get totally smashed. I was in the lcbo last week and tried to find this wine so I could taste it again but it was not sold there. Does anyone know where I can get some of this wine in toronto?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast