I have two Cingular GoPhones. I use one, and I pay for the other one, for my mom to use. They are on the "Pick Your Plan" $29.99 monthly charge, and both of them recharge automatically off from two different credit cards that I have.

We used to use these phones a lot more, but haven't really used them too much lately. They used to both be on a $40 a month plan, but I dropped them down to the $29.99 "Pick Your Plan" because we don't use them as much. This is apparently the lowest plan I can get. I could switch it to make it an actual "Pay As You Go"...but that's no good. It's still like $1 a day, even on days when you don't use the phone at all...and somewhere around 10 to 15 cents per minute when you do use it. With combined usage...that equals out to the same thing I'm paying a month now - about $30 bucks.

Both of these phones have a balance of about $200+ on them. Mine has over $240 balance on it, because even when we don't use it as much, with Cingular the minutes roll over.
However, we both need the phones in general. That's enough money on each phone to basically go for 6 to 8 months without making any more service payments.

Is it possible to stop the monthly payments and just use the built-up balance for the next 6 to 8 months on each phone...and then resume the monthly service charges on each phone again, after the balance has been used up? It seems kind of pointless to keep paying a monthly charge...only to not really use all of the minutes and have useless money keep building up.