Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    paulovahn

How do you set-up a personal video recorder without

monthly fees? I figure why pay TiVo or a cable company or a satellite company to use a personal video recorder, after all, it's just a piece of timer software that records data to a hard drive. Just a matter of getting the tv listings, hooking up a home computer and finding the right software for one-time up front cost (something cheap, like and not 300-500 like TiVo/ReplayTV charge you).

kickinit98
    Easy, SnapStream, or I think it's now called BeyondTV, there was an article written on it in 2002 on tomsnetworking.com, great article: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/network/20020423/A little more than $50, but $69.99 ain't bad. If you don't already have a tv tuner card for your PC then get the bundle that comes with it.I'm not sure but I think the XP Media Edition PCs have similar software already built-in as well.

www.snapstream.com

Tiger He
    Yes. You can just get a TV tuner card or something like an ATI All-In-Wonder video card for your home computer. Usually there's a TV recording software bundled, something like InterVideo WinDVR, which can download TV programs online.TiVo is popular for a reason. It's easy to use. Most people would just pay a few bucks a month for the subscription for the convenience. Plus, if you recorded to a computer, you had to hook your computer to your big screen TV if you wanted to view there.

legal.bill
    El Gato has a couple of solutions if you're using a Mac. There's and "EZ" USB 2.0 box at about $150 that's gotten decent reviews.

www.elgato.com