Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Christopher L

I'm 24,How can i get custody of my 13yrold brother,from my mother,who...

...maynot beunfit, just in a bad situation? I am 24, and am capable of taking care of my 13yr old brother. My mother just married some guy she only knew for a few weeks, and now a month later are fighting and arguing in front of him. He is no model citizen, with two strikes as a convicted felon, and drinking with no job, he is just an accident waiting to happen. My brother and I dont have the same father, but his father is no role model either. My brother's father is the person who came to me about the situation, and has asked me to relieve my mother of her duties as my brothers protector and guardian. I gladly accept. As of today my mother does not argue where my younger brother would rather be, with his older brother. How do we begin to proceed with this? How am I able to get custody of my brother, without hurting my mother, or making my mother looked at in any negative way?

Downloads
    Uploads
    OMG, that is SO sad. I wish I knew exactly what to tell you but I am SURE there are PLENTY of resources out there for you. Child Welfare comes to mind. Ask your brother's dad what you two can do together. It's the ones who see the situation as it is who MUST step up! Please! for your brother's sake. Thank you for caring. Please follow through. I can't believe women who marry people like that, it's horrible, it all comes from low self esteem. Seems cliche but's it true. I used to be kinda like that but no more, I love NO MAN more than i love my kids or more than I love MYSELF.

kandyice07
    Well its not about whether you hurt your mothers feelings its about your brothers safety. Tell your mom that you love her and your brother and you're only doing what's best. If she can't understand then she doesn't care too much about her sons safety. My grandma took custody of me from my mom because she wasn't able to care for me anymore but they. Were never on bad terms. My mom just took it for what it was and accepted it. There was never any hard feelings. She did it because she loved me

Downloads
    Uploads
    First let me tell you that you're just about the most mature, kind and complete 24 year old i have ever come across. What a lucky brother you have.
    May I suggest that you call a local law school and ask for them to refer you to a Pro Bono attorney, who will consult you for free. Since each state is different in terms of family law, it would be irresponsible for anyone to give you direct advice regarding your jurisdiction, but if you call your local Law school you'll be getting advice pertinant to your situation and location.

Best of luck to you.

Kari
    First of all I think it's a noble thing to do that for you brother.
    But you have to prove you can provide for him & you also have to prove that she's "unfit". So their may be a little investigation with Child Protective Services.
    Maybe you could discuss it with your mother kindly, & ask her if he could stay with you. She might understand. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    don't bring this to court it is only gonna bring confusion and build a conflict between you and your mom.ask that your lil bro come and live with you.i think your mom is great and knows that her child is been traumatized i bet she will allow him to live with you.

i think your the best brother there is.i wish i had people like you in my life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well you will have to go to the courts to become his legal guardian im not sure how exactly it all works so consult a laywer it will be much easier an quicker to if your mother consents an just signs the papers goodluck