Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My '03 Suburban made a screaming noise when I tried to start it.I took the...

...keys out,and it didnt stop!!? It kept trying to turn over, even we were out of the car (like it was posessed!!), for several minutes, before it finally died out. Now it is totally dead. I tried to start it again a few minutes later, and it started clicking loudly. That went on for another few minutes before totally dying. Now i cant even lock the doors with the remote, or set the alarm. Is it the battery, or alternator? Should I attempt to jump it? I didn't leave anything, like the lights, on at all to cause the battery to drain. Any suggestions what it could be, I mean, of course before I call Auto Club and have it towed to the dealer??

Downloads
    Uploads
    gremlins.
    i think dave x nailed it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like the starter solenoid (cylindrical object on top of the starter motor) is seized in the "engage" position. Once the engine started, the starter didn't disengage, and was overpowered by the engine. That's the screaming noise you heard.

Don't jump it. It will only continue to do it. Your battery is dead because the starter wouldn't stop cranking. That's why nothing works anymore.

You can usually buy solenoids separately, but for the price of a replacement starter, your best bet is to get a new starter and solenoid assembly. They will have to remove and reinstall the starter to do the job anyway, and the starter is probably pretty rough now because of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bad battery, probably. At 5 years old, it's not uncommon. Be careful jumping - battery sounds sulfated and it could blow up. *always* wear eye protection when dealing with batteries, even if it's just sungalsses.

infoman6617
    starter lock up would be my first choice.... but now the battery is dead if not woreout and some wires could also be burn or bad too.... best thing is to call and have it towed somewhere to fix it... and no dont try to start it any more til its fix