Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Bob Lee

Sprint Problems? Endurance issues?

Hey,

I am running a 100m dash, and for the first 30 to 40 m, i am leading everyone by metres. However, when i hit the 50-70 metre s mark, others begin to catch me and then i do not do as well. I run the 100m around 12.7 seconds. I'm not sure if i have problems with my endurance or if i need to improve my overall speed. help me out, by giving me your imput and possibly some workouts. Thanks

Mike
    One way for you to increase your endurance would be to start off by running 50 meters all out, then walk for a few minutes, then do it again. Otherwise, you might want to try running at maybe 80% of your max for longer amounts of time. My main thing to say is to not listen to the person that told you to use ankle weights. Those can cause injury.

Mike
    One way for you to increase your endurance would be to start off by running 50 meters all out, then walk for a few minutes, then do it again. Otherwise, you might want to try running at maybe 80% of your max for longer amounts of time. My main thing to say is to not listen to the person that told you to use ankle weights. Those can cause injury.

dmspartan2000
    Seems to me you have a problem finishing - perhaps because, since you are leading your opponents by such a large margin, your mind tells your body to "ease up". You have to convince yourself mentally that your opponents are RIGHT BEHIND you the whole way. Just rememeber - the race is NOT OVER until you hit the tape!

Some work to help you improve your speed certainly wouldn't hurt so I've included a link that may help you in that department.

Andrew
    since your running the 100 meters. my coach said to go 90 percent for 50 meters then for the other 50 meters go as fast as u can. also if u have the chance, work on your indurance. trust me having a lot of endurance u can run a lot better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Run the 100m dash in practice. Your body has to get used to that speed and distance. You won't get any better if you run miles all day long at practice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It could be a combination of both. Try practicing the 100m in ankle weights, until you reach or exceed your existing time.

Once your goal is reached in ankle weights, when you remove them, you will exceed your goal time/speed because you've developed the endurance for it under the stress of ankle weights.

Also, breathing is crucial. Talk to your coach/trainer about proper breathing techniques for your distance and never hold your breath when you run.

robitussin
    yeah. you should work on your endurance. try doing 100 meter build ups. you start out with a jog and then by the last 10 meters you sprint as hard as you can. do about 6 of those per day. that should help somewhat. good luck!