Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

pet snakes food?

i really want a pet snake but i dont no what they eat apart from mice is there any food that you can buy that is cheap and prefbally not mice.

Jessie
    ummm i think mice is about it that is all i fed mine. you can get them frozen but mine liked them live.

Lilith
    If you get a "rough green snake" you can feed them crickets-

"Crickets, waxworm, butterworms and mealworms dusted with a multivitamin..."
    http://www.popularpets.net/snakes/care-sheets/rough-green-snake.php

Lil'Eemsta
    eggs

Downloads
    Uploads
    crickets when they are small as well as spiders
    when they grow a little larger then mice
    as they grow larger than that then rabbits
    other than that nothing else

*CaRpE*DiEm*
    Mice really are the best thing. I have a snake. A ball python. His name is Scully and he loves mice! But, if you don't want to feed him mice because mice are DISGUSTING? (you want a snake for ****sake) then you can get the small furry gerbil like things for it while it's a baby and when its older you can get actual gerbils. They eat them, too. I just don't like the idea of feeding my pet... a pet!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have a gopher snake, i buy him frozen pinkies, they are rodents, but i try to pretend they are not, because i have a soft spot for all animals, but it depends on what kind of snake you get, try going to a petco and talk to them about that. they can recomend one.

thiknpretty1
    kids

coolkid
    Apart from a minority of species, most snakes are very easy to feed in captivity.

One factor that holds back some would-be snake keepers, or those they live with, is the subject of food.

Feeding live insects to my tarantulas is seen as barbaric by those I know. Watching my preying mantids tucking into a still-wriggling locust makes many people cringe.

Even the insects themselves make many people's stomach's turn and whenever friends see a box arrive in the post labelled "Danger - Live Insects" they avoid it like the plague!

But apart from a few select species such as the rough green snakes and some garter snakes most commonly-kept snakes are perfectly happy to eat dead prey.

For people like you and me this makes life very easy.

A huge range of dead snake food can be bought in reptile stores or from mail order companies and kept safely and hygienically in the freezer at home allowing you to htaw out what your snake needs on a regular basis and feed it.

What's more, whilst you shouldn't make a habit of it, snakes can safely go a week or two without food, so if you run our unexpectedly you can order more without the worry that your precious snake will starve before it turns up.

You should take care to thoroughly thaw the food you remove from the freezer before feeding it to your snake(s) or ice crystals may still remain which can cause real problems for your snake.

I'm a busy person, and even I don't like the thought of an unthawed dead mouse sitting around in my kitchen so I have adopted a simple process.

I take the snake food I need and place it in a plastic bag before tying the top.

I tend to use the small, clear plastic bags available from supermarkets to put sandwiches and other food in to keep them fresh.

I then drop this bag into a container - such as an old icecream tub - of hot (not boiling) water.

Within 30-60 minutes the food is not only unfrozen but is actually warm from the water.

I then untie the bag and feed the snakes straight away - while the food is still warm.

This means I don't waste hours waiting for the food to defrost, and the fact that it is warm when I feed it makes it all the more attractive to the snakes too.

full of questions?
    snakes are actually kinda expensive, so if ur already asking for cheap and u havnt gotten it yet, then i dont know if u are ready/ can afford one. Its not just buy a snake and food. U have the cage and the lighting, the vitamins u give them for healthy skin. there is alot of stuff that u have to get if u wanna keep it healthy. Also be sure u get a snake that u can control. I know a man that runs a snake rescue and he has gotten like 5 anacondas from people that bought them b/c they thought it would be cool, but they grew FAST! dont be stupid. And dont take the cheap route for owning a pet. If u want cheap, buy a plant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast