My texas rat snake(corn snake family) has become very agressive. What can I do?

ericac

Apr 22, 2008
He wasn't like this when I first got him. But recently my friend was holding him and she dropped him. Ever since then he trys to bite me when I take him out. It is getting worse. Whats the best way to handle this?

First, your snake has been traumatised. It will take time and patience to overcome this.
Be sure to always wash your hands well before handling a snake. They can taste/smell if you have been handling food items.
When I had to re-tame my ex's 7 foot burmese, I wore welding gloves and just held on. She bit a few times, but I didnt flinch and she calmed down within a week.

snakes become more aggressive as they approach molting time. their eyesite is hampered by the increasing opaqueness of the eye coverings and they are insecure. handle it less or not at all until it molts, let it feed well after and then it should be more calm. you should be calm and gentle whenever handling.

feed it might be hungry and put rubbing alcohol on you hands before picking him up

He's freaked out. He doesn't want to be droped again, he thinks if someone handles him again he's gonna fall. Don't worry about the biting or the headbutting. They have no teeth, the worsed is a startle, just start handling him again. slowly like a few minutes a day and then 10 minute safter a week and he should like being handled again soon.

PS don't let your friend hold him again.

Back