Antonio Banderas sadly lost his father to illness in February. In this week’s Hello magazine he spoke of the way his dad’s legacy helps him parents his children 22-year-old Alexander, 18-year-old Dakota, and 11-year-old Stella.
“I’m not big on discipline and neither was he. I’m much more focused on talking and showing affection. I think that way you can understand your children a lot better. In Stella’s case, we’ve had an easy ride, but now she’s entering a new stage,” he said of the dreaded journey to adolescence.
“I’ve had experience with my other children, Alexander and Dakota. Alexander’s 22, and lives his own life in New York where he’s studying music. But they both suffered. It’s the hormones!
“[Stella] wants independence and thinks she’s right for it. It’s a balancing act. I think discipline which kids don’t understand properly leads them to distance themselves even faster and more radically. Having said that, I don’t believe in being their friend. You’ve got to go gently, but you’ve got to go carefully.”
Wise words indeed. Antonio also opened up about the way he regards Alexander and Dakota, Melanie Griffith’s children from her marriage with Don Johnson, as his own.
“I consider them my own children, naturally, and when I talk about them, I say ‘my children,’ not ‘my stepchildren.’”
Given the culture of Hollywood party girls, Antonio is understably nervous of what he calls “the dangers of life.
“Particularly at this age when they can’t tell good from bad - the type of people they’re mixing with, drugs, that kind of thing. In the case of my children, there’s the added risks that come with this fame that they didn’t choose.”
It’s a fame the children have had thrust upon them, regardless of who their biological father is.
“Alexander hates it. He studied six months in Malaga and nobody knew he was our son. He never told anyone. Dakota is different. She’s got her mind on so many things at once. She’s 18 and everything is going at breakneck speed for her. Stella is more like Alexander. I think she’s going to deal with the whole business very discreetly, unless she chooses acting as a career. She reminds me a lot of my father and of Alexander.”
With Stella aged 11, Antonio can’t help thinking about how much he’s baby is growing up. But I don’t imagine the boys will be able to take advantage of her with Antonio around!
“I hope she doesn’t end up with the kind of scalliwag I was at 20! I’m always teasing, ‘I’ll put my Zorro suit on and that will teach him.’”
That’s hilarious! He sounds like such a great dad!

Tags: Antonio Banderas, Don Johnson, Melanie Griffith, parentingShare This
</img>
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img>