Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Golfnut

Anyone else like Keith Morrison's voice? Dateline NBC narrator?

Best Narrator ever....

Unregistered
    got your answer?

BryanF1969

Keith Morrison is annoying as hell

Keith Morrison has one of the most annoying voices on TV, beaten only by fellow NBC correspondent, Josh Mankiewicz. In journalism, we're taught that the story is the focus, not the reporter. If anything takes the focus off the story, then the journalist has failed. This includes mannerisms, clothing, jewelry -- and yes, the voice, which includes volume, diction, thick accent (for the region served), etc. And few people are more distracting than Morrison and Mankiewicz. But the latter can be forgiven because he probably naturally sounds annoying; if anything, NBC was at fault for hiring him. But Morrison purposely treats each story like a work of fiction, talking to the viewers as if they're children. Why not let the stories speak for themselves? Why dramatize it with theatrical narration? What's the point of the pitch changes and teasing diction? To me, he cheapens the story and the entire NBC news department -- and insults his audience -- by feeling that we need dramatization before watching a story. In all seriousness, when I see his name attached to a story, I think there should be this disclaimer: "Based on a true story..." In other words, the story is no longer objective and purely factual, but rather a treated to a Keith Morrison spin. As such, I avoid any story with Morrison or Mankiewicz, unless it's crucial to my research. In fact, I avoid Dateline altogether (Chris Hansen's exploitative journalism being another reason), and stick to real journalism like 60 Minutes.

Unregistered

BryanF1969 - Definitely not a journalist

Well, BryanF1969 you are completely wrong. I may noy be able to change your opinion of Keith Morrison, but I'm almost positive you didn't attend journalism school. Keith Morrison is an award winning journalist and has a resume that would make you want to stick your foot in your mouth. People don't watch Dateline when they want to watch a recap of the day's events. Dateline is a news-magazine program that features news-worthy stories in a narrative format. I think his voice is very appropriate considering the nature of the program. I don't at all think Keith Morrison takes away from a story by over dramatizing or making things look fictional. I think you're completely misguided if you think he insults his audience and treats them like children. Where do you get off on saying something like that? For a researcer, I would have thought you might cite specific examples to back up your claims. Furthermore, you are completely ignorant if you think Chris Hansen is an exploitive journalist. Last time I checked, almost every news station (local and national) in the country had a team of investigative journalists whose entire job rested in alerting people to the dangers of society and sometimes their own communities. That's what journalim is all about. Anyone can read the news. It takes a special person to be an actual journalist. I don't know what school BryanF1969 went to, but if I were the academic dean and knew he was spouting all this nonsense, I'd ask for his diploma back.

Unregistered
    OMG Keith Morrison's voice on Dateline makes me want to stick a pencil in my ear. I love Dateline stories, but I HATE it when Morrison is the narrator! He is SO overly dramatic it is painful. I don't care what his resume is or what previous jobs he has held, YECH!!!!!!! Please ditch this guy for ANYONE else...

Unregistered

beach bum

Keith Morrison's delivery style is worse than fingernails on a chalk board. I love Dateline but whenever I see that he is narrator, I'm gone. He sounds like he is auditioning for a spot on the Adams Family. NBC, I know you can do better.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, BryanF1969 you are completely wrong. I may noy be able to change your opinion of Keith Morrison, but I'm almost positive you didn't attend journalism school. Keith Morrison is an award winning journalist and has a resume that would make you want to stick your foot in your mouth. People don't watch Dateline when they want to watch a recap of the day's events. Dateline is a news-magazine program that features news-worthy stories in a narrative format. I think his voice is very appropriate considering the nature of the program. I don't at all think Keith Morrison takes away from a story by over dramatizing or making things look fictional. I think you're completely misguided if you think he insults his audience and treats them like children. Where do you get off on saying something like that? For a researcer, I would have thought you might cite specific examples to back up your claims. Furthermore, you are completely ignorant if you think Chris Hansen is an exploitive journalist. Last time I checked, almost every news station (local and national) in the country had a team of investigative journalists whose entire job rested in alerting people to the dangers of society and sometimes their own communities. That's what journalim is all about. Anyone can read the news. It takes a special person to be an actual journalist. I don't know what school BryanF1969 went to, but if I were the academic dean and knew he was spouting all this nonsense, I'd ask for his diploma back.

What!! On Dateline he makes murder sound like a Disney story. What school did you go to? Learn how to spell before you launch into uneducated diatribes. You Muppet.

Unregistered
    I tune into Dateline when the story line sounds interesting. I hear Keith Morrison's voice and I change the channel. Unbearable - I cannot stand to listen to him. Have even tried muting the tv and putting on closed caption. To each his own.

ILikeKeithsVoice
    I like his narration of Dateline NBC. It's not dry. He makes it very interesting. He reminds me of Paul Winfield, original narrator of City Confidential. The only reason I began watching City Confidential is because of Winfield's narration. When he died, that show was never the same. It might have remained on the air if Keith Morrison had been asked to replace Paul Winfield on City Confidential. Winfield was the best. Morrison is a great second best.

Ricky Carter

Keith Morrison

I dont think I've ever disliked a narrator as much as Keith Morrison. His need for dramatic closeups and ridiculous expressions is SO distracting. I want to shout, "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU KEITH MORRISON", it's about the story. His need to be the center of attention is disgusting. I wont watch any episode with him in it. Period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast