Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nile_Death_Metal

Would any of the following cars be good for a 1st car?

As my 18th isn't far off and I'm eager to have a car and my P's within a short while of turning 18, I was thinking of small cars that have a bit of class to them such as - Toyota Celica's, Mitsubishi Lancers, Nissan Silvia's/Pulsars, & Honda Preludes, Ive found basic mid 90's models of all these cars mentioned above for all under $7,000...Mainly around the $4000 mark, which is about the maximum i want to spend on a 1st car...
    I was wanting to know, are 2.0 and 2.1 litres small? Would they guzzle gas up, because most of these cars have small 2. (what ever) litre intakes...

Any thing I should desperatly know? or any general feedback?

Andrew W
    in england you wouldn't get insured on anything over a 1.6 for less than about £3thousand (for young drivers like you and me)
    2.0 litre is a powerful car and they will guzzle the petrol
    i notice you're going for the japanese makes, which is good because they are reliable, but they are also in high insurance brackets
    if you're after a bigger car, then an astra 1.6 is reasonable insurance and if you get the SXi version, it is quite good looking aswell

falconthefirst
    well my friend i first would like to wish u a happy 18th bday, and regarding the car, well i guess if u do care about the runing cost (fuel cost) then u go for korian made cars, they r extremly cheap in their running cost, but i cant tell how much will u have to pay as a prince for the car, and if u dont find the idea comfortable for u then u go for the honda as your mid 90 alternative, coz i know that they also have reasonable running cost as well as they do have high accelerations and nice top speed (if u car about speed as most guys at your age do)

Junior Member thespywhoknowsyou's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If i were you, i would stick with either a lancer or a later model pulsar, the price of petrol is starting to go up so an economical car is advisable, and both the lancer and the pulsar are easy on the pocket when it comes to maintanance costs, celicas are starting to get a bit out dated and hondas can kill the bank balance if something major goes wrong, plus the fact that lancers and pulsars are pretty popular among the younger people like yourself, and as time goes on and you get off your 'P's in a couple of years, there are lots of inexpencive mods you can do to these two cars to make it more cooler and faster )

Junior Member BrutalDeathMetalAddict's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2 litre cars are small compared to something such as a ford xr8 wich is running a 5.7 litre v8. so definately 2 litre would be good all the cars you mentioned should be quite good on fuel and are easy to find parts for if you want to put new mods on them

ShaH
    All these cars are good as they don't take a lot of gas...
    I have always like Celica (even though they stopped making it). Good to drive, reliable, parts are cheap, don't need to spend a lot on gas and doesn't give any problem, so I recommend getting Celica as your first car...

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should get a chevy cobalt. They are cheap and great on gas. A 2 liter engine is small and gets on average around 30 mpg. Enjoy your car!

Downloads
    Uploads
    These are all small displacement motors and should offer around 26 to 33 MPG on the high way assuming you’re not driving 100 MPH everywhere you go. You keep the speeds down to 65 and 70 you should see 26 to 33 MPG out of these cars. If it where me and I where purchasing one of these cars I would go with the Honda or Toyota. They both have good safety records for the size of car and will be easy on maintenance. Hope this helps in your decision.

bobe
    Both of the 4 cylinder Celica and Prelude engines are work horse engines build to last a long time provided they've been taken care of. They get very good gas mileage too. I've had experience with them and recommend those two cars to you. I can't speak for the other engines from experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hey from experience a toyota corrolla is a great 4 cylinder and also honda civic 93 model is an excellent car reliable,cheap to run low costs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast