Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to San diego on monday and iwas hoping some of the locals could point me away from touristy spots?

I don't want to spend my whole vacation walled up in some mass built resort there. any cool local spots to go hang out and have a couple of beers? any good restaurants or take away? cool things to do besides seaworld?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to San diego on monday and iwas hoping some of the locals could point me away from touristy spots?

A few beaches I love would be Marine Street in La Jolla or Windansea, Pacific & Mission Beach are more tourists spots with Belmont Park. Ocean Beach is a cool little hippie area(stoner zone), with some cute shops like, The Black and Lighthouse Ice Cream, and Hodads Burgers is amazing! Sunset Cliffs in Point Loma is cool. Seaworld, Legoland, the Zoo, WIld Animal Park are all big tourist areas....whatevs. Fashion Valley Mall has great shopping, it's getting remodeled right now but there are still a lot of cool high end shops. You have to get Mexican food from Taco Fiesta, it will change your life.Also George's at the Cove and Island Prime are really cool restaurants! Check them out.. if you are willing to pay a lot.. :]

Downloads
    Uploads

Kayla pretty much covered it, but she left out a few places. Old town and the Gaslamp. Yes both are touristy, but locals go there a lot too, just not on the weekends if they are smart! In Old town I would recomend several places. 1.) the tortilla factory 2.) Casa De Pico 3.) Coyote Cafe. There are also several gourmet tequilla bars and tons of shops, you might want to try that if you are looking for something unique. In the gaslamp if you want something kind of fun and low brow (think maxim magazine) I recomend Dick's Last resort. The gaslamp has tons of other places if Dick's isn't quite your speed. Here is a little tip to avoid the outrageous parking prices. If you have a car, go to Hazzard Center, it's in Mission Valley. Park on the very bottom level of the parking garage and walk accross the street to the Trolley Station. From there take the trolley to either old town or the gaslamp whatever your pleasure is and when you're done take it back. It's cheaper even with a trolley ticket, fairly safe, and a lot easier than fighting the traffic and parking in either old town or the gaslamp. Considering you used the phrase take-away I'm guessing you're from Europe. I've been there several times and kind of know how it is in there cities. San Diego isn't like that. It's not centralized. It's like a bunch of small towns kind of sprouted up and grew closer together. There is no one area where everyone goes to hang out. each neighborhood kind of specializes in it's own thing. Also Hillcrest is nice too. Great shops, a theatre and restraunts, but it is the gay neighborhood. If you are straight probably not the best place to pick up people.A couple of other places, both are touristy, but good shopping.Sea Port Village and Horton Plaza.

Downloads
    Uploads

if I were you I would take a walk down newport avenue in Ocean Beach. All "the locals" love to shop there, and there is a really good restrauntat the waterfront called "shades". Or go to the tidepools at the very end of Sunset Cliffs blvd, theres even a small beach which hardly ever has many tourists. Theres an amusment park in Mission Bay called "Belmont Park", theres tons to do there!have fun(: