Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

When did certain Americans decide they were entitled to high wages for essentially unskilled labor?

I hear the whines all the time... people who have no skills beyond basic, everyday skills, think they are entitled to make T shirts and get paid 50 grand a year to do it. Where in the Constitution does it state that Americans who make essentially no effort to acquire any marketable skills are entitled to a high paying job, benefits, a house, a nice car, vacations and other stuff?I made 3.35 an hour while in college... how could I ever have gotten the impression that would cover my bills. Minimum wage jobs are one of the great American institutions, providing motivation for someone to keep striving.Jeez, Michael, where do you live? The rhetoric is inescapable about "saving" jobs for unskilled laborers.

Downloads
    Uploads

When did certain Americans decide they were entitled to high wages for essentially unskilled labor?

Word....but minimal wage has to be at least enough to pay the bills and food....other than that I agree...yeah and that's the reason no one wants them....so don't complain when all jobs go to foreign countries....even though everyone has a chance to better their education the country isn't set up for every single last person to go to college....so for the people that keep everyday life going for the rest of us...they deserve fair wages....I think its a bit harder to work your butt off all day washing dishes and stocking shelves for UN grateful costumers than sitting on a computer behind a cubical wall typing reports

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know anyone who thinks he is "entitled" to a certain wage. I am entitled to negotiate for what I can get, and any potential employer is entitlted to negotiate for less. If all I have to offer is a warm body, the price I command will depend in large part on the number of other warm bodies available.

Downloads
    Uploads

Where do you hear this?Americans complain about not having vacation time because we at most may get 2 weeks off a year for a vacation, as opposed to many European countries who require their employees to have vacation. Required vacation time here is pretty much nonexistent.Don't know where you get the high-paying job and nice car though and how you think Americans deserve this.The "American Dream" idea exists. If it didn't then we wouldn't be a superpower. The idea makes it so that Americans should be able to make something out of themselves from nothing by using hard work and dedication. That's not written anywhere, but it's a cultural thing.So the ones you consider who believe they should be hand-fed everything is a very very small minority.

Downloads
    Uploads

When the greed of the company affects the way of life a worker deserves, lets talk abot, heating keeping a decent home having enoughfood to feed four people pay taxes have the ability to keep a car on the road.Look there are a lot of us that are not being able to make it with our hard work and sweat.Ther will be a time coming when you management boys would have to worry about a union, you be to busy tring to put out your house fire.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm paid minimum wage for a stocking a run down old grocery store, I have enough food to feed myself and help my mother pay bills. Cooking is a passion I love, But even if I were to go through college and get a degree, If I managed to pay for culinary school by some cosmic miracle, I would never be a chef or a suchef which is my dream, I cannot call orders back to the chef, Nor could I do many things that require a voice to do. Because I have no physical dissabilities other than speech impairment (mute), I can recieve no benefits to help pay for my bills, I work as hard as I can 8hrs a day and spend countless hours stocking, But because someone else can greet the people that come to the register they deserve more than me? Also I have had this job since I was sixteen and when I turned 18 they raised my hours and changed my shifts, Litterally the day I turned 18, And I am almost twenty and have never had a vacation, I drive a corrola 87', And I have minimal insurance coverage beyond work related coverage. Also I live in a house my family built, All I can do is save up, For maybe a chance to move out, Maybe a chance to go to college, Maybe a nice car that doesn't eat up gas. What I can't stand is the others who work where I do, That get into our bosses face and yell at him about how it's so unfair he can't bend to their weekends plans, One lady who is a CUSTOMER ASSOCIATE PERSONAL. Informed me that I need to stop showing up 15minutes early and start showing up ON time. She gets paid to scan items, Give people their money back, And make sure everyone enjoyed there shopping experience, Oh yeah. And boss everyone under her around. My job isn't hard, But its no cakewalk, And I'm paid 5.55/hr, On hours determined by my boss. I can't agree with the minimum wage at all, But I can't see how I could change it.

Junior Member tt~IcePrincess~tt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

But where in the constitution does it say that a lawyer should be paid $300 per hour? Is the lawyer so much much more valuable to society than a teacher that the lawyer is paid 10 times more??How are the skills of a lawyer that much bigger than a teacher, so he has to be paid 10 times more, eben when he is having a phone conversation?