Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    usc

do australian shepherds make good drug sniff dogs or police dogs?

do they?

jw349
    Well, the problem is aussies have a trait that is so natural to them. Herding. They love the see and chase. They are obsessed with it. They are best suited for herding or for frisbie trows in compitition, and agility. Although incredibly smart, they do not have the natural desire to sniff and search. Their agression is not enough to learn and keep knowledge of attack training either. They like to herd, play frisbie (and I mean serious high jumps and spactacular moves frisbie) or amazing agility. SO, no they don't make good police dogs.

jw349
    Well, the problem is aussies have a trait that is so natural to them. Herding. They love the see and chase. They are obsessed with it. They are best suited for herding or for frisbie trows in compitition, and agility. Although incredibly smart, they do not have the natural desire to sniff and search. Their agression is not enough to learn and keep knowledge of attack training either. They like to herd, play frisbie (and I mean serious high jumps and spactacular moves frisbie) or amazing agility. SO, no they don't make good police dogs.

DOG OWNER
    Almost any dog can be trained to track or smell drugs, either.

i said
    never heard of them specifically - but you can train any dog ( unless something is wrong with it ) to sniff out anything that is not in their natural environment