I'm worried my DVD collection will go obsolete with all the Blu-Ray stuff?

JiminyCricket

Apr 13, 2008
Is that the case, or is everything backwards compatible?

Blu-Ray will enhance the experiences we already have but the DVD will continue to work...?

blue ray is not catching on so well...its been out for a long time.dont worry

Of course it will work. Even VCDs work on any computer or DVD-DivX player right now. The thing is, picture gets better and better but backward compatibility stays where it is. Your DVD collection will be playable for the next 15 years minimum on any Blu Ray player

Regular DVDs play fine in a Blu-Ray player. They even upconvert them so the look better.

they will still work, but hurry up and sell them while you still can!!!!

Same thing happened to my VHS collection. Nothing lasts forever, just keep your DVD player.

A lot of Blu-Ray players will play regular DVD's. This is right off the Blu-ray.com website.....

2.2 Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs.

blu-ray is for hi def tvs. if you have a regular tv, you should be fine. but when you upgrade to hi def, you may have problems.

I have thought about the same thing, and I guess our regular DVD's will still work so we haven't wasted money just to have to upgrade to blu-ray.

Back