How do you make a good twist ending?

G

GMK

I want to write a book with a collection of short stories, and I want to make a good twist ending (like Ray Bradbury). How do I do that?!
P.S.
I wouldn't mind if you told me how to think up the short stories too, (I only have two story ideas on hand).

Reveal that all the characters are actually monkeys! *NO* one will see that coming!

For the twisted end this is what I do. Ask people to read what you have so far and ask, what do you think is going to happen at the end? then whatever they say do the total opposite, sometimes adding in your own flare...... as for thinking up ideas make some sort of random list of settings..lol... here's an example

Forest
Ice cream shop
bank
ocean
island
arabia

close your eyes and pick one, then make up a random list of characters

Dancer-Irenia
Artist-Ronald
Banker-JonJon
director-Waldon

Then have the main idea....

Murder
ghost
battle

You get my point....lol...hope that i've helped!

end with something that is totally opposite from what the reader expects..
look at some of O. Henry's books

AH! My area of expertise! My friend and I write stories TOGETHER! She comes up with basic ideas, I elaborate on them, and we run wild! To create a twisted ending, you may want to think of two possible outcomes. Lead the story in the direction of the outcome you like LEAST, but with similar (but not TOO similar) details. When you reach the end, smack the readers in the face with your OTHER outcome.

what i do is know what the twist would be, so that i can create something with what may seem like plotholes and ends up coming together. basically, the twist ending should do the job of filling in all the plotholes and explaining everything.

Help for writing a story. With a twist.

For idea's you could think of something you like and a 2 movies (one you dislike and another you like). Then combine the ideas.

For example: I like magick (like the Pagan type of magic).
1 movie I dislike: Stuck in the Suberns. (by Disney)
1 movie I like: Harry Potter (1st)

Now combine them. You could get: "Two girls who are best friends discover a Book of Shadows with magick spells. Then they do a black magick spell and bring demons from hell. Not knowing how to reverse the curse they try to find the owner. But one friend ends up tricking the other along the way. Because at one point she was taken over by a demon. And in the end the owner of the Book of Shadows is a known person which they cared for, who is the demon leader, too."

A trick can be to finish chapters in cliffhangers, too. But with half a hint. There for you can use the other part of the hint you didn't tell the readers and make the twist.

Hope this helped. I'm a starter. :eek:

Do a complete twist to the story like the good person dies and the evil villian wins! something like that!:unbelieveble::unbelieveble:

I'm currently writing a short story about a chase between the main character and a "monster". Right before the story ends, I reveal that the monster is an eagle and the main character was a mouse. I constantly go through what I've written and make it seem like the main character is a human and I'm also careful not to reveal too much about the monster so that the reader doesn't figure out the twist until i actually reveal it.

NORMALLY A GOOD TWIST IS A PUN OR VERY FUNNY! E.G.

CHARACTER BECOMES RICH OR DIES

Back