Bubba Watson is looking for a third Travelers Championship this week. (Getty Images) Bubba Watson is the defending champion at this week’s Travelers Championship, a tournament he’s won twice in his career. While nothing is ever truly a lock in golf, it’s a safe bet that Watson will score some important Ryder Cup points.
And Watson needs them. With the top eight players in the standings after The Barclays at the end of the month earning an automatic place on the U.S. Ryder Cup team, Watson is currently ninth on the list.
This week takes on added importance considering he won’t be able to earn points next week at the John Deere Classic, as he’ll be in Brazil representing the United States in the men’s Olympic golf tournament. The goal is to play well near Hartford, but there’s the possibility Watson will add an event to his schedule to make sure he seals a Ryder Cup spot.
“We talked about playing Wyndham,” he said Tuesday. “Normally I don’t play Wyndham to get ready for the playoffs. But, you know, we looked at trying to maybe play there if I don’t play as well as I want to here just so I can get more points.”
Watson wants to avoid placing his fate at the feet of U.S. captain Davis Love III.
“I don’t want to go off a pick,” he said. “I’ll take a pick all day long, but it’s better to set yourself on that team than rely on a pick.”
Last week at the PGA Championship, Love noted that he’s mentally keeping a separate points list for the four American Olympics, none of which have locked up a Ryder Cup spot. While the Olympic tournament doesn’t offer Ryder Cup points (there’s no money either to be the basis for points), Watson knows coming home with a gold medal could go a long way.
“I figure a gold medal will help, though,” he said. “Even though it doesn’t count, it’ll still count.”

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.

Follow @RyanBallengee

LISTEN TO OUR WEEKLY GOLF PODCAST! This week: Looking back on Stenson-Mickelson, golf’s greatest duel