If there's one certainty in baseball these days, it's that players who record walkoff hits will take a physical beating from his teammates.
It's all in good fun, of course, or at least that's what it's supposed to be. However, there have been times when it looks more like a matter of survival than the thrill of victory or a true celebration of accomplishment.
[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football: Sign up and join a league today!]
We saw another example of this on Sunday, when the first-place Astros knocked off the Tigers 6-5 in walkoff fashion. All-Star Jose Altuve provided the hit, singling home Jake Marisnick with the game-winner in the ninth. Altuve proceeded to run for his life as his teammates pursued him, before being tackled to the ground rather awkwardly by rookie sensation Carlos Correa in the outfield.
It was a baseball celebration, but in some ways it looked like a typical J.J. Watt sack as Altuve was effortlessly spun to the ground. Those watching likely held their breath as Altuve's leg seemed to get caught underneath him on the way down.*
Boys will be boys, we suppose.
Fortunately, Altuve bounced right up and the celebration continued.*
"I always take it easy on Altuve," said Correa about the tackle. "So, everything we do is just having fun. We're like brothers, and when you're brothers, you play around a lot, and that's what we do all the time."
Altuve echoed the sentiment about Correa suiting up for the Texans.
"I think if the Texans see that, they are going to put him out there."
Meanwhile, manager A.J. Hinch was far less enthused about the situation.*According to the Houston Chronicle, Hinch called Correa into his office following the game to inform him that tackling teammates will no longer be an acceptable form of celebration.

“He thought it was the principal’s office,” Hinch said of Correa.
“You’re about to give me a heart attack to see those two rolling around on the field,” Hinch said. “It was pretty good form, but we have to find a different way.”
Indeed, the Astros can't afford to be without either of their middle infield stars. Altuve, who won the AL batting title in 2014, is the engine that makes the offense go. The 20-year-old Correa has also had an immeasurable impact on the team since his mid-season call up. In a little more than two months, he's played himself into position to win AL Rookie of the Year honors.
“I love the win,” Hinch said. “Love the walk-off. The rolling around, it’s got to be replaced. What happened to the High 5? We all laughed it off since nobody got hurt.”
It's all fun and games until someone breaks a rib or tears a knee ligament celebrating a win. Fortunately, Altuve walked away on Sunday, but as Hinch notes, the High 5 or a manly bear hug may be the way to go from now on.*
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:
- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813