A massive fire that blazed through a luxury apartment complex in Edgewater, New Jersey on Wednesday has left New York Yankees radio voice John Sterling without a home, reports the New York Daily News.*
Sterling was one of around 400 residents to be evacuated when the fire broke out at the four-story building around 4:20 p.m. local time. No injuries to civilians or firefighters have been reported, and officials confirmed Wednesday evening that all residents and pets have been accounted for.
That's the best news, honestly. Unfortunately, is has been reported that at least 50-percent of the complex is a total loss, meaning that residents will be without a home, in addition to facing the possibility that many, if not all of their possessions, will not be recovered.
“I don’t know what to expect. Now, I have nowhere to go. And I need a toothbrush," Sterling said late Wednesday night.
“I was wondering what I was going to do for clothes. But then I started thinking about all the stuff, all the memories, whether it be music, books, and a lot of other stuff,” he said. “You know I was planning on moving to a new apartment complex and felt I was going to throw a lot of that stuff out. Now I hope I haven’t lost it.”
The report notes that Sterling will be staying at a nearby hotel, but still plans to fulfill his assignment as the play-by-play voice of the Hallmark Kitten Super Bowl, which will be recorded this Saturday. Many of the other displaced residents have been moved to the Eleanor Van Gelder School and the Boys and Girls Club.
It's times like these when you learn who your real friends are in life. Sterling says that so far, many from within the baseball world, including radio partner Suzyn Waldman, have reached out, which has given him some comfort.
“One positive is, if there can be any, is all the people that have called me up asking how I’m doing. Like Willie Randolph, a secretary from the Yankees. Suzyn— another friend from Los Angeles. It must be a big fire because she heard about it on Ch. 7 L.A.,” he said.
Still, there are going to be some painful days ahead as reality sets in and the damages add up. We certainly extend our best wishes to John Sterling and all others effected by this fire, and encourage those who can to lend a helping hand.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813