The Los Angeles Dodgers put the finishing touches on what many are labeling a front-office dream team on Friday by officially announcing the hiring of former major leaguer Gabe Kapler as the team's director of player development. Kapler joins new general manager Farhan Zaidi and new senior vice president of baseball operations*Josh Byrnes on Andrew Friedman's revamped staff. Friedman himself was hired on Oct. 14 to serve as the Dodgers president of baseball operations.*
Kapler, 39, played 12 seasons in the major leagues with six different teams. After four seasons with the Boston Red Sox, he briefly retired and spent the 2007 season managing Boston’s Single-A affiliate, the Greenville Drive. He returned to play three more seasons in the big leagues in 2008. His final two seasons were spent with the Tampa Bay Rays, and that's where Kapler first struck up a relationship with Friedman, who was Tampa Bay's general manager.
After failing to make the Dodgers in 2011, Kapler retired for good and went on to serve as a part-time consultant for the Rays. From there he moved into broadcasting as a television analyst for Fox Sports. It was in that role that Kapler's stock seemingly rose not only as an analyst, but as a talent evaluator and a communicator who could fill a large role within an organization's front office or clubhouse.*
His former Fox Sports colleague, C.J. Nitkowski, echoed those sentiments on Friday.*
I couldn't be more excited for Gabe when I heard the news he was going into the Dodgers front office. I wasn't surprised at all that he moved into such a prominent position so quickly. His passion, intelligence and drive told me he'd be moving on at some point and without a doubt he is hardly done. I won't be the least surprised when he is leading an organization as either a GM or field manager.
Kapler was rumored to be drawing interest from the Rays to fill their managerial vacancy. However, talks with the Dodgers were already underway. Given the set up and circumstances the Dodgers situation is probably a better fit for Kapler's transition anyway. It allows him to work alongside someone he's already familiar with and comfortable working for, and perhaps most importantly join a front office structure that as a whole will embrace sabermetrics and use it as a large part of their overall formula.*
It's no secret that Kapler is a big sabermetrics supporter, as he often implements it into his analysis. He'll immediately be on the same page with his new co-workers, who all share that belief.
With that said, it's still largely considered an outside-the-box hire considering Kapler's lack of front office experience. The Dodgers have also drawn criticism from the Los Angeles Times' Steve Dilbeck for what he basically titled an "attack of the nerds" philosophy. Just about all of Dilbeck's thoughts were outdated and irrelevant, yet if there is one concern it may be of too many cooks in one kitchen overseeing an operation that's expected to succeed immediately. * *
For now, a sound structure is in place and there's harmony at every turn. But if results don't follow and impact decisions have to be made, we could see those concerns come to light.
If nothing else, the front office overhaul serves as another interesting subplot for a team that already has countless subplots built into its roster.*

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813