I've tried to convert XAVC MXF to FCP ProRes 422. The footage is recorded by Sony F5. The problem is I can't work out how to bring the original audio from the camera in 2 separate audio channels.

It seems that multiple converters I've tried just merge both channels into one mixed audio channel, irrespective of the choice of Stereo or Mono in Settings. There is no option for pass-through audio. Luckily, my friend Amy, a video editor, introduces me Aunsoft Mac MXF Converter Pro, which can preserve, separate and export multiple audio tracks from source XAVC MXF file. I download the trail version. It works well, helping me convert XAVC MXF to ProRes MOV. It runs very fast, about 5 times than other converters I used. And no matter MXF footages from Panasonic P2, Sony, or Canon XDCAM are recorded with 2, 4, 8 or more audio tracks, it handles well. The only pity is the trail version creates logo with output video.

One point I must mention is about how to import 4k XAVC MXF to FCP. So far I only shot the F5 XAVC for 1080p files (import the MXF files into FCP7 then send through compressor to create 1080p ProRes files). This most recent shoot I shot 4K because I have to do some green screen comping. I can't figure out how to create any 4k files as I can't import into FCP. Finally, I try to convert 4k XAVC to 4k ProRes MOV. The TransMXF Pro for Mac offers quality almost as high as original file. This method works. But I guess it also needs a high-end computer.

Here I would like to share my experience on transcoding XAVC to ProRes with 2 separate audio for FCP editing.

Step1: Load MXF files

Click "add video" or "add folder" to load file. You can also directly drag files to the program. The program supports batch conversion and allows you capture images.

Step2: choose the output format

Click the "format" and choose the "Multi-track Video -> Multi-track Apple ProPres 422 HQ (*.mov)" files as the output format.

Step3: Set multi-task settings

Click "settings" to preserve separate audio tracks in original file. The screenshot shows 4 tracks of audio, if your source XAVC MXF with 2 tracks, you will get 2 channels here. If you don’t want to keep all audio tracks, you can uncheck undesired ones. You also can mix multi-audio tracks into individual track.

Tips:
High quality, medium quality and low quality of video bitrate are formulated by Apple ProRes, and the 30mbps in ProRes HQ output is an estimated value.

Step4: Conversion

Click "Start Conversion" icon, TransMXF Pro for Mac will convert XAVC to ProRes with 2 separate audio for post production in FCP. Following the steps above, you can also convert 4k XAVC to 4k Apple ProRes easily.