I’m trying is converting standard def QuickTime references from Avid Media Composer to mp4. Unfortunately Avid only exports an anamorphic 4:3 QT ref file. To be specific, I want to convert QT 4:3 to 16:9 MPEG4. When I run this reference file through Mpeg Streamclip and set a 16:9 aspect ratio, in this case 640 x 360, it automatically makes it 16:9. The disadvantage is Mpeg is not very efficient. So I need a more robust one.

For the previous experience, I'm a big fan of Aunsoft Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate, which has got me out of many a scrape over the past couple of years. It works about 4 or 5 times quicker than any other I’ve tried. But when I try to convert 4:3 QT ref file to MP4, it keeps the file 4:3 and adds a strange bar at the top of the screen throughout. So I turn to technology support to ask for help, I got the solution quickly. 2 Method can change aspect ratio. One is change video size. Here when I set video size as 640 x 360, the aspect ratio is automatically 16:9. Another method is switching 4:3 to 16:9 using cropping function. According to specific needs, you can choose other one.

Below is my experience on Aunsoft Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate to convert QT ref file to MP4 with aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9. For Mac Users ,you can turn to Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac

1. Add QT file

Click "Add Files" icon to add QT ref file. I directly drag the files to the program.

2. Choose MP4 as output format

Click "Output Format". Here I choose "HD video>"H.264 HD Video (*.mp4)" as output format. You can also directly set your exact device from "Device" category as the output, such as iPod, iPad, iPhone, PSP, HTC, Android phones, etc.

3. Set aspect ratio as 16:9 using cropping

Click "edit selected task" icon in the main interface. Click "Crop" to set Aspect Ratio as 16:9 do you can encode DV to 16:9 MP4. Here, you can crop the unwanted part or black edge. Vertical flip or horizontal flip is available with one click.

4. Alternative option: Set aspect ratio as 16:9 via changing video size

Click "Settings". Here I set video size as 640 x 360, so the out put MP4 keeps 16:9 as I need. You can directly enter the exact value in the ComboBox.

5. Conversion

Click "convert" button and the Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate will start to convert Avid Quicktime QT to MP4 at ultrafast speed. This program is very efficient, and the progress bar will show you the percentage and remaining time.