I'm not sure if he does, it kind of seems like it. He's not supposed to be a whiny sort of character, so please tell me how he comes across.
(Also the other character doesn't communicate well with people nor is she particularly comforting, and I have no clue as to how a person might respond to this.) Thanks!

“Just go back.” He murmured, and started pacing between the dark forms of two trees. He was muttering still, and though she couldn’t hear what he was saying it was clear that he was angry.
She said nothing, but didn’t leave. If the captain told her to bring the fool back, she would do so.
Garran kicked at the ground, leaning against a tree. “They give me a task, something that seems simple enough, and I fail. All I had to do was keep the arrows on the other side of the shield, but no. No of course out of the whole group one person messes up.”

“I’ve taken worse than an arrow.”
“It’s not just you! I’ve traveled with this leader and captain before. Them an another apprentice, one older than me. I had to do one simple thing then too, and I didn’t do it well enough. Worse than this time. I got him killed.” He started pacing again, striking the tree and wincing, though just barely. “I’ve done the same thing before, but never as bad. I promised myself I wouldn’t do the same thing, I wouldn’t get someone else killed or injured because I was too much of a fool to do as asked.”