Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Travelling at the speed of light, will this work?

Picture this: I have an extremely long pole and the end of this pole could touch the Moon, and I'm stood here on Earth holding the other end.

Starting from the left side of the Moon, I only need to turn the pole a tiny bit for the end of it to reach the right side of the Moon.

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say, but surely that end of the pole touching the Moon would have traveled faster than the speed of light, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, because the pole is not a solid object - it is composed of atoms in contact. So as you move your end, that motion must be transmitted from atom to atom along the length of the pole. 400,000 km is a lot of atoms to move like a line of dominos.

We are used to objects (like a broomstick) to move instantaneously because the length of the object is so small.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No physical object can be perfectly rigid. As such, as you move the near end, the pole will bend and no part will ever exceed the speed of light. (That's if it doesn't break.) Indeed, the far end won't even start moving until a considerable time after you move the near end, the movement propagating at the speed of sound in the pole.

Junior Member 3e14159265358979323846's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    << I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say, but surely that end of the pole touching the Moon would have traveled faster than the speed of light, right? >>

-- No.
    First of all, that is impossible for obvious practical reasons.

Secondly, in order to move that pole at the speed of light, you'd need an infinite amount of energy, as its moment of inertia would increase with speed as a consequence of increasing mass.