this mean? I'm a college freshman nearing the end of the semester. At the beginning of the year there was this girl in my class that caught my eye for a number of reasons other than the fact that she's beautiful. She seemed to be very different than any other girl that I've ever met, and I frequently caught her looking at me but quickly look away when we made eye contact. I looked up these type of signs online as well as ask my friends for help and I came to the conclusion that she's shy but very likely interested. I decided to take things slow. I would talk to her from time to time and got to know her. We have a few things in common. Afterwards, I got her number and had lunch with her (which she turned into a group event with her friends, which put me in an awkward position because I didn't know any of them and I wasn't able to talk to her at all...although there was this one girl in this Youtube video that said that if she does this then she's definitely interested). There were other signs as well: inconsistent eye contact during actual conversations, looks down and smiles once when I walk past her, but most of all: looking. And there are times when I catch her that she's been doing more than casually glancing. A few weeks later, her close friend found out I was interested, and told her that I think she likes me back. She then sends me a message saying that she doesn't feel that way towards me. A few days later we have a conversation about it, and it turns out she was just being nice (which is also something I should have been cautious of but just wasn't). She knew from the beginning that I was interested but didn't say anything. After all of this, I still catch her looking at me and sometimes quickly looking away like it was in the beginning.

What does this mean?

Does she just have this "staring problem" that girls have?

Did she lose interest overtime?

Is she unsure, or just simply being nice?