Tottenham Riots

arabiantwilight

Apr 6, 2008
I often get this sort of news late being overseas, but once again i find myself scratching my head at the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14435251

Do the rioters genuinely believe that they will make there community better by wrecking it? More to the point how many are just "along for the ride"?

Tottenham really has had it bad over the years - and I can't see it getting any better soon

Wow place looks worse than I thought it would. While I don't think much of this really has to do with the shooting, more like a few pissed people started the original scuffle outside the station and then everyone else jumped in at the chance of free stuff and a fight, but I don't get why "the community" is pissed at the killing?

Osu,

This is the first and civilized world...
More action coming soon, and in the USA too...

Osu!

The impression I get isn't that the protestors started looting. It's that a lot of scumbags took advantage of the scuffle to start looting.

Even if the police had kettled the protestors, the looting would have started outside the kettle since they are different groups of people.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic there. Are you saying the police are right to hold people and not "let them out to pee" just for protesting?

You assume that the two groups are completely isolated. They aren't. The looting was probably triggered by the outbreak of violence at the protest. If the Police had prevented the outbreak of violence, by for example, kettling them, looters wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the public disorder.

A lot of police officers were injured yesterday. If that could have been prevented at the cost of a few full bladders, isn't that a good tradeoff.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20. What I really have a problem with is the media blaming the police for not doing the very things that they were being criticised for a few months ago.

It is one of those occasions where I wonder "Why do I bother?" - my job is something I enjoy immensely, but is it worth the associated flak and crap?

The I remember that most people actually like the Thin Blue Line and it reminds me that a few vocal morons will not stop me doing what I do and doing it well.

I believe kettling is a viable containment method if there's a high risk of violence. First thing I heard about this, and before the proper burning and looting took place, was that riot police were being deployed outside the police station. If its enough to bring out the shields and batons then I'm not going to complain about containment.

I'm not saying it should be used all the time and there were times it was used poorly but I heard quite a bit of calling for its ban just because the evil policemen inconvenienced protesters. I put the blanket anti-kettling stuff in league with the news stories about mums complaining their kids took a smack from a riot officer in the middle of a riot.

Had a FB message from a friend that lives in Haringay area. They are trying to get Enfield rioting as well.

Sort of reminds me of the early 80' with Toxteth and Brixton.

I feel really sorry for the police it seems whatever they do they'll get ripped to shreds for it by the media and the public and protests seem to be one of the worst things for that. Either they didn't step in, let bad stuff happen and are completely imcompetent, or they're too heavy-handed and clearly just joined up to shove a nightstick up someone's arse. And turn them into a popsicle

What is needed are those police without the badge numbers that were at the 1984 coalfield riot. It would stop rioting very quickly.

The price of freedom. Britain periodically has riots, it is the sign of health democracy telling it's authority that they are doing something wrong.

The Bear.

The police brought a lot of the anti-kettling sentiment on themselves by having been used as political puppets; deliberately detaining peaceful protestors on the anti-cuts marches in order to stop them protesting and prevent them from wanting to protest again in future and, as a result, firing up tempers amongst protestors and creating violent scenes.

This is a different kettle (as it were) of fish. Using it on violent protestors would seem to be a proportionate response but, because they've been used as political agents before, they're now finding themselves in a tricky spot.

This is a real riot, but they're unable to pull out their full arsenal of tactics because of times they used them on peaceful protests. Ironic, but also very unfortunate for everyone.

^This.

Times are getting hard, people have less and less money. The credit card rules, there is nothing for the young to do, gangs are the only sense of belonging and I fear there will be further riots.

I agree with all of that but see very little in the way of a solution. People have an obsession with always looking back and I don't doubt if they'd kettled this lot they would of got a lot of flak. This is one of those situations where being pro-violence makes things far easier

Actually on that note what would the likely response have been if the news today was filled of pictures of the rioters doing the normal looting/burning thing but being met with force by the police? I just can't picture a favourable media and public reaction to the police using force anymore even if its legal.

I would buy this were it not for the fact that it is not authority that suffers - it is the everyman.

How is wrecking someones house or shop "sticking it to the man"?

These are selfish little criminal scum - no exceptions and you cannot justify it by alluding to a loose moral stand against authority.

On a related note the shooting that seemed to set the ball rolling was instigated by the deceased - or so it seems. Do those morons seriously advocate colorful language and tickling sticks to deal with a criminal waving a handgun around?

Morons

Back