Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Junior Member Bri||TheLesbianChick||'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

General Election - 6th May

I don't think Cameron wants it to break down since with Milliband as leader (lets face it, he will be) Labour might have a chance of getting back in.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree. But there isn't really much common ground between the tories and the libs. This coalition is an attempt to make the best of a bad job for the tories, and while in a sense its a real result for the libs to get a share in government after all these years, it might prove to be a bit of a poisened chalice for both parties, because they are going to have to make deals that will not sit well with many party members.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just want to see one tory policy after another rejected by the commons.

Downloads
    Uploads

The first big test is going to be the plan to introduce fixed-term parliaments.

Shiny Face has said that any change to the voting system will have to be ratified by a referendum, as it represents a major constitutuional change. But funnily enough, he hopes to get the major constitutional change of fixed-term parliaments through on a simple commons majority, although it will then require a 55% majority to get parliament dissolved early - a totally new departure in the history of parliament.

I know that governments only promise referendums when they know they will win them, but the real issue here is the idea of making changes to the constitution on the fly, without much thought having gone into it.

Obviously this wasn't even in the small print of the tory manifesto, and I don't think it will be hugely popular with many rank-and-file members on either side of the coalition.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435