Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

[POLITICS] Why doesn't he call an election!?!?!

So we are in the depth of recession, there is huge public anger over the expenses scandal and with another minister resigning today it is clear that even his own party have lost faith in him. Why doesn't Gordon Brown just get it over and done with and call an election??

I really don't understand his think. Yes according to all polls he would loss an election if he called one now, but he only has a year left before he HAS to call one and what does he think is going to happen in that year!? Does he really think that in one year we will be back to high growth and low unemployment, that he is somehow going to learn how to be charismatic and people are going to start liking him, that everyone is just going to forget the embarasing u-turn on the Gurka issue, that people will forget the expenses scandal and his bad handling of the whole affair!?!?

The fact is he is going to lose whether he calls one now or in a year (btw I am not saying this as a conservative supporter, in fact I have no party allegiances and last time round voted lib dem) why doesn't he put the country and himself out of misery and just get it over and done with!?

I really am just wondering what his motivation is for holding on. Do you think its a kind of Machiavellian clinging to power? Or to you think he really thinks it will all turn around in just 1 year?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not an issue for the Prime minister or for the Chancellor. It is an issue for parliament as a whole. Why would they look to change the system when it worked so nicely for them. Make no mistake, the only reason we are hearing about changes at all is because their expenses have been made public.

I used to support Labour rather avidly, but I dont think I'll be voting for them at the next General Election. I've found myself disagreeing with their policy decisions more and more and I think it's probably time for a change. I imagine I'll vote Lib Dems because I just can't bring myself to vote Conservative.

But dont be naive, Labour can turn this around, 20 points sounds like a lot, but at this distance from a general election, it isn't. A couple of high profile Conservative screw ups and that gap will vanish quicker than you can say 'David Camerons a toff'.

As for the resignations - this has nothing to do with confidence in Brown - no one takes a £30-40K pay cut because they dont like their boss. They are resigning, because they were going to get booted in a reshuffle next week anyway. They're just trying to save a little face.

Downloads
    Uploads

This guy? Leader of the country? Please God no.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/alan_johnson/kingston_upon_hull_west_and_hessle

Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament.
    Voted moderately against introducing a smoking ban. DOH!
    Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
    DOH!
    Voted very strongly for    introducing foundation hospitals.
    Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees.
    DOH!
    Voted very strongly for     Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
    DOH!
    Voted very strongly for     the Iraq war.
    DOH!
    Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
    DOH!
    Voted very strongly for     replacing Trident.
    Voted moderately for the hunting ban.
    Voted very strongly for     equal gay rights.
    Voted for laws to stop climate change.

Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
    DOH!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast