How can I convince my parents to let us go on vacation to Paris in the summer?

maq

Apr 6, 2008
Tell them they can't put a price on such a great experience. Plus that it may be years before the US dollar gains any ground in Europe. That no vacation in the US could compare to traveling across the Atlantic and experiencing the beautiful French culture that spawned great philosophers, artists (i've been to Monet's garden and it's stunning - you want to live there!), poets...that it will be phenomenal, everywhere you step has history of the ages ingrained in it. Good luck!
I live in England and i'm trying to persuade my parents to take me to New York, so i know how frustrating it can be!

I've asked them many times explaining all the sights and how much fun it would be. I even offered to pay for my plane ticket there, but they think it's a waste since the euro is valued much higher than the U.S. dollar right now. They've offered to go somewhere in the United States for vacation instead, but nothing sounds as exciting as Europe.

as someone said above; culture art and history are the way to go with parents! if that wont work look into doing an exchange that way youve got a ready-made social life once you get there and your parents will know youve got a family looking out for you.

Sorry, your parents are right, your money isn't worth anything overseas. Besides what's wrong with seeing things in the US? There are so many beautiful things to see here and do that I think it beats Paris any day. Try checking out the US first and then as you get older then on your own you can venture out. Besides, Paris with your parents? YUCKY!! ...how about Paris with someone you are in love with or how about Paris on your own to find someone to fall in love with.

If you want to visit a very American-friendly European country with sights and history as equally rich as Paris, might I suggest vacationing in Ireland? You won't find a more proud and hospitable people than there, and they LOVE having Americans visit their country. Plus the language barrier will be minimal, just a few differences that will still provide some great educational, cultural experience.

tell them how educational it will be. I went there last summer and there are a lot of things to learn. The euro is pretty bad so don't buy any clothes. anything else is ok

Well, do you want to go with your parents on vacation there or would you just want to go there? There are many study abroad opportunities, or even other programs that let you go to Paris or any part of Europe. Granted you normally have classes or something but there is usually plenty of time to travel as well. I'm currently studying this semester an hour north of Paris - and yes, the dollar is doing horrible against the euro and it is getting even worse.

My advice is either look into other means of coming here aside from just a "vacation" or perhaps save your money up this next year and start planning a trip out here for next summer - in which you will be older, have more time to convince your parents to let you go and also might be able to find other ways to go about it.

As for someone mentioning that the french hate Americans - I can tell you that is not the case at all! Paris is actually doing all that they can to bring Americans back to France and Paris like it use to be.

In all, just do your best, and if you really want to get out here - you will find a way somehow.

Back