Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

Ya, I second that feast suggestion!

I know what you're saying about kimchee. When I first had it -- ewww! Spit, gag, I hated it! But now I'll take large bites at a time, especially if it's fresh kimchee (as described in a prior post). My Korean friends were correct when they said that eventually you start to crave kimchee.

Oh, you guys are making me hungry.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

tom why were you in korea for four years. i was in korea for a year..... military

stationed in pusan. but since i was in a "special unit" we were all over korea.

my experences.
    for food. if it wasnt for the nco club i would have starved.

i thought bugogi was good. there was a good soup that i liked but i forgot its name. kimchee smelled so bad that i couldnt stand to eat it. (although i might as well have since all the girls taste like it when you kiss...and im not giving that up for a year)

i tried kimbob. the stuff wrapped in seaweed. i took one bite and it was so gross i couldnt get it out of my mouth fast enough. it seemed like it grew in my mouth. i took one bite and spit out 5.

kerean food did not agree with me.

dont get the wrong idea i am an adventurous eater. i have eaten kagogi. ( i have heard its good for the chaggi)

and in africa i eat camel and croc.

an underrated part of korea is its rock climbing. how many places can you take a cab up to a steep rock face.

other great spots

chegedue island, freedom village, etewan

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

I had just finished college and got my teacher certification, and my red belt in TKD. I wanted more experience around the world before teaching and was offered a chance to go to Korea. I signed up for 1 year to teach English in the public schoola and planned to study TKD and-or Hapkido. I enjoyed it so much, I stayed for 4 years. I would´ve stayed longer but I needed to go back to NY and get my permanant teacher certificate before it expired. There was a lot of stuff I didn´t like about Korea, but I loved training there, the food, the money, and some of the people.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

Bulgogi = yummy yum

The only downside is that the only place that serves it in my town takes about half an hour to bring it to you, but it's worth the wait.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

You didn't mention Bi Bim Bap (at least I think it's Korean). A rice dish with barbequed chicken, Kim Chee, fried egg and some kind of green vegetables, topped with some sort of spicy bean paste. I absolutely can't get enough of the stuff, it's awesome!

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

Etewan (you probably mean Itaewon) is where the 'not so adventerous'-people go.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

Heh heh heh... depends. For many Koreans, it takes a very "adventurous person" to go there (at least from the countryside. Also, it can be fairly dangerous late night there.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

I have never had any troubles, the girls seem so friendly

A bit to friendly, so my wife doesn't allow me to socialize with them

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

Ha ha ha ha!!!

I used to try to take my co-teachers to Itaewon so they could practice their English. Most of the Koreans I knew refused to go... "too dangerous!"

Itaewon is good for non-Korean food as well!

There is a Korean meat restaurant in Itaewon that cooks the meat on water filled steel racks... the meat turns out amazing!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

[Korea] Korean Food List

More Korean food:
    곰 탕Gom Tang - Soup made from tailbones (beef), you can put your bowl of rice into it and can add red pepper powder if you like. “곰” also means “bear” (different Hanja) but this soup is not made of bear!

설렁탕 Seol-Leong Tang – A similar soup to above but is made from general beef bones. “설렁” is also slang for “not funny, or not enough”

추어탕 Choo Oh Tang – boiled “loaches” (a kind of small fish found in the rice paddies) that are crushed up and mixed with a variety of vegetables. The soup is seasoned individually by each person with a variety of spices and fresh vegetables, eaten with rice.

오리탕 Oh Ri Tang – Boiled duck with vegetables and rice. Very rich from the duck’s natural fat and goes well with rice.

부대찌개 Boo Tae Chee Gae – “Soldier’s Soup” made from a variety of ingredients (whatever you have on hand). Normally it’s made with Ramyeon noodle seasoning (and the noodles at the end) with kimchee, spam, and whatever vegetables and leftovers you have. Spicey and filling!

버섯전골 Beo Seot Jeon Gol – This is a hearty stew made from several varieties of mushrooms boiled in a nice stock. Other vegetables may be added.

쌈밥 Ssam Bap – A big plate of various greens (lettuce, herbs, weeds, and others) that you take a wrap with other greens and fill with rice and garlic and soybean paste. Optionally you may have some grilled meat to go with this. Hopefully, the restaurant will have a big wall poster showing what the various greens are. Definitely will give you an appreciation for the various greens.
    순두부백반 Soon Too Boo Paek Pan – Fresh soft tooboo (Tofu) served up with a nice variety of side dishes.
    순두부찌개 Soo Too Boo Chee Gae – Fresh soft tooboo (Tofu) made into a soup with red peppers and often shellfish. Served with side dishes.

아꾸찜 Ah GGoo Jjim – “아꾸” is a kind of fish whose name I never learned and instead referred to as “big mouthed ugly fish” (and it is). In this dish, it’s mixed with red peppers and veggies and made into a stew.

생등심 Saeng Tung Shim– Fresh beef sirloin grilled in front of you and cut into nice bite sized pieces which may be dipped into a sesame oil- salt and pepper dip and wrapped in lettuce with garlic, leeks, and/or soy bean paste. (note that the생- prefix on meat refers to “never frozen, fresh meat” as opposed to frozen meat… usually better tasting)
    안심 Ahn Shim – Like above but it is the beef tenderloin

돼지갈비 Dwae Ji Kal Bee – Pork ribs with seasoning cooked on a grill in front of you and eaten with rice, sidedishes and lettuce to wrap the meat in (w/ garlic, soybean paste, and greens)
    소갈비 So Kal Bee – Similar to above, but these are a richer seasoned beef ribs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast