Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Police Burtality or Preformance of Duty???

I agree alansmurf...

This has happened to me where a small video was entered into evidence that the use of force used on an arrestee was unnecessary. A well known ambulance chaser in my city jumped all over it, until they watched what really happened from my video recorded inside my cruiser. They changed their minds quickly and tried to plea to a lesser charge. Thank GOD for video.

Kew-Do

Downloads
    Uploads

If a short clip like this were the evidence against one of your clients, wouldn't you be asking where the rest of the video was?

Downloads
    Uploads

Additionally...

We all want to point the finger at... this and that... and or say what we would do if we were in someones shoes or profession, however, Lets just say that this guy, who obviously is resisting arrest, {and we really do not know what happened prior to or the facts that lead up to this video}, was arrested for victimizing you, your family, or someone close to you. Is the use of force justified to affect a cuff and an arrest? I agree, maybe these officers could have used another alternative. I am a police officer and still it is easy for me to say this however, may react in a different way if I was in that scenario. I have hit people with O.C. (pepper spray), I have witness Tazer application, and still have watched people still coming after you! At the end of the day, that officer, male or female, wants to go home to their family as safe as possible. We all want to point the finger when we feel that there is brutality, but honestly..............who are you going to call and how much force should be used if someone is coming after you or one of your family memebers and it is a life or death issue? Really, you never know what could lead up to life or death, each call has the potential for lethality! ALL CALLS!!!! it only takes one second for this to transpire. I'm sure you have all watched police shoot out videos so I will not bother you with the links.

Respectfully submitted,

Kew-Do

Downloads
    Uploads

GC I neither condone nor accuse these officers ..I merely point out the sometimes very real risk of pre judging an incident from looking at it one sided viewpoint...

As ever I respect your experience and expertise ....but tell us about your little darlings of clients who will spit, assault, threaten, abuse and even lie about the police officers ........there are two sides to every story..

respectfully

Smurf

Downloads
    Uploads

Precisely my point Medi "The Medievel One"

Kew-Do

Downloads
    Uploads

Just for fun!!!!

Message to Gangrelchilde...

I do respect lawyers and the jobs they perform, after all, you suffered through school to earn your JD, the bar exam, etc... and the same applies to you folks, most folks do not like you or trusts you until they need you, then, you are their "White Knight".
    I know how that feels through all the jokes etc...

I'll have to tell you about the time I was "BIT" by a delusional intoxicated lawyer. It really is a funny story, well, I quess you would have had to be there to think it was funny.

Kew-Do

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

"brutality" - NOT sure - I think that brutality kind of depends on the officers mindset - what they intended at the time.

What is a FACT from the clip and is not mitigated by any prior events is that the officers were poorly trained - in the situation shown at the beginning of the clip they should have been able to effect the handcuffing without hitting to the face.

In fact, hitting to the face is probably a seriously sub-optimal tactic unless they could do it hard enough to effect a knockout (an unconscious person is generally easy to cuff). Otherwise hitting to the face can easily result in the person being hit, tensing up and resisting.

I am sure that virtually everyone on this board could role-play that scenario and come up with better alternatives.

The problem is the age old one that in most countries (certainly the UK and the USA) the average policeman gets nowhere near enough training in effective unarmed tactics.

In most cases it's not the officers fault - they just have a very limited set of trained responses.

All the best.

Robert.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a former Officer we were taught a three-sided five-tiered Use Of Force (UOF) model based in a Graham vs Conner court case. We were also taught the five reasons for the use of deadly force. One of these reasons is if a fleeing suspect has threatened deadly force against the officer or others. If in the attempt to arrest the suspect he makes a threat, but the officers have some control and only need to place the cuffs on then some lesser use of force would be warrented.

I'm not saying this is what happened. I'm just stating some of the things officers receive as training, and some logic applied. Officers receive continous training on the UOF and reasons for Deadly Force.

Just something to think about.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, there are two sides to every story. I tell my clients that. Most of them, after discussions, will acknowledge their fault in the sitch in my experience. Too bad this story's most important side was caught on tape. and spitting and threatening... not good enough to justify the use of excessive force, by the way.

That wasn't resisting arrest to the degree which justified the use of excessive force. The perp was prone, subdued, and failing to comply with orders to relax because he was being choked. I certainly contend that ground and pound is pretty much excessive force.

This is wholly irrelevant and meant to appeal to people's fear fo criminals.

No evidence of that here except for the allegations by two officers caught with their hands in the cookie jar. They have *no* credibility as far as I'm concerned. And the family stuff, once again, is irrelevant.

And this was *not* a police shootout video. The perp was prone, admittedly non-compliant (because he was being choked), and then the fine members of the LAPD decided to go all Tito Ortiz on him. Don't even think of putting this in the same category as a traffic stop gone bad, that's an insult to good cops everywhere.

Yeah I would, but at the same time I'd be giving my client the third degree. I have no illusions about the world around me, medi. This was assault, period.

Downloads
    Uploads

Search MAP, I think we have a thread on the Las Vegas lawyer who showed up to court intoxicated and blew twice the legal limit. The vids total about 3 hours of hilarity.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast