Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 248 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

First, I could care less if I offend anyone. There's no Constitutional right not to be offended. Second, they're not my brothers-in-arms. They don't wear the uniform. I, on the other hand do. When you go to combat, you put your life in your buddies' hands. He does the same. If you don't think that means more to a person than just living across the street, then you have a lot of living to do. More importantly, the guys in uniform put their lives on the line so that everyone back here can go about their daily lives. As a society, we have an obligation to bring all of our soldiers home, to account for them, and be able to explain to their families what's become of them. No one gets left behind, and not one American should tolerate a gov't that's willing to leave a man behind. In that sense yes, they are worth more than the enemy. I for one applaud Israel's committment to their troops in this sense..[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But that's not the point. War is not ethical. There's a point where using more force to end the conflict is more ethical than allowing it to continue at a lower, but prolonged level. Which is more ethical, 2,000 casualities today, or 10,000 spread over 10 years? Have you been to Iraq or Afghanistan? Do you truely know the situation because you've had boots on the ground? I do, because I have.

Hezbollah came about because Khomeni sent the Iranian intelligence service to organize, train, and equip a group of Muslims to fight the Israelis by proxy for Iran. Hezbollah continues to exist thru support from Iran; without that support, Hezbollah would wither and die.

As my wife is active duty military as well, she agrees with me. As do my mother and father who would expect the US gov't to leave no stone unturned to bring me or my wife home in a similar situation. You're idea that I would value their life less is assinine and clearly the comment of an iofftopicture mind. I wear my uniform for them, and you for that matter.

Israel is doing far more than Hezbollah expected. Personally, I'd like to see them take the gloves off, wipe out the Palestinian Authority and establish a buffer zone in southern Lebanon. By consolidating their position thru real military force, they have a chance to put an end to this conflict once and for all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

I just can't understand why religious fanatics do these things (kidnaps, bombings etc.). Don't they realise they are making life worse for the ordinary people in their countries? I never bring this subject up with my islamic friends but the ones I know don't condone terrorism.

I don't think anyone's life is worth more/less but I guess its all about perspective and the role you are in at the time (eg. soldier, brother, mother, enemy).

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

There comes a time when you have to make a value judgement. If no one's life is worth more or less than anyone elses, then what is the point of having an army to defend ourselves? Aren't we as a society making the value judgement that we're going to defend our own which by definition means at the expense of someone else's? As a society, we give our police the right to use deadly force to defend their lives or the lives of others. If all we truely believe that no one's life is more important, than should we as a society allow police to use deadly force? Do we believe that the police officer is just as wrong for not allowing the bad guy to kill him? Most people would say no, and agree the cop has the right to defend himself. After all, the bad guy was committing a crime, right.

In this case, the bad guy is Hamas and Hezbollah, as well as the communities that shelter them.

And by the way, they're not considered religous fanatics in their society. They are the pious Muslims who mothers point out to their children as role models. In the west, we divorce religion from public life, politics, government, etc. Religion is supposed to be personal. In Arab/Muslim society, religion cannot be seperated from public life or the state. We equate them to our "Jesus Freaks", but they are not fanatics or the fringe of their society. They are way more mainstream than our media or liberal elites are willing to acknowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

Hey DC, just to be clear I didn't say no one's life is worth more or less. I just meant that it would be as you said a value judgement given our role and perspective at the time (eg. a terrorist's life is worth less than an allied soldier). But to the terrorist's mother his life would probably be worth more than yours. Its sad and sick that we even have to put different values on human lives because of the state of the world.

Your point about religion being a more public part of their lives is so true. I never really thought about the fact that it is a more accepted/mainstream part of their culture. It just interests me as to what other muslims think because I have seen a few documentaries in Australia about the local muslim population who say they don't condone such violence and there are groups who also do speak up about their religion and exalt it as the perfect path but also say they don't condone violence. It seems a contradiction in terms to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

this is complety untrue, there are over a billion muslims in the world. the vast majority of which are just living regular day to day lives both in the middle east and the west.

stop making baseless generalizations. it seems about 80% of your points are based on your own narrow biased view on muslims.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

I never said there was a right not to be offended, so I am a bit taken aback by your comments about it. As a society, our military is to protect the general population, so saying the lives of a military member are more important than those in a the general population.

I have no problems in supporting and defending the lives of those in the military, but when it comes down to killing tens of innocents in return for the life of one man it is a bit much. I know I would not want someone to kill 50 innocent men and women, grandparents and grandchildren in their attempt to rescue me.

I guess that is where we differ, I put the lives of many above those of the few.

To the contrary, ethics remain in times of war. As you pointed out, the long term view is important, which Israel is ignoring. They are only stirring the fire, creating more enemies, which will in the end result in more deaths.

As to being on the ground, I do not need to be on the ground to understand a situation.

Do I need to see a child killed to understand the death of a child? I don't think so, first hand experience while valuable is not necessary in some cases.

No kidding, if Hezbollah no longer gained a response from Israel it would begin to die. Unfortunately Israel continues to give it power.

Thanks for the insults, appreciate it.

Does killing innocents count as turning over stones?

My idea that you value their lives less than those in the military stems from your very clear statement that the lives of two fellow servicemen are more important than those of 6 billion civilians. I find it outrageous that you believe the lives of two servicemen are worth more than billions of innocent men, women and children.

You say you wear your uniform for me, but you would willingly sacrifice the lives of me and my family for the life of one fellow serviceman?

Oh please, everyone with any knowledge of Israel would be able to clearly predict the result of these kidnappings, ESPECIALLY after they see what happens when one Israeli serviceman is kidnapped in the Gaza Strip.

You would like to see thousands of innocents get killed, maimed, and those who survive get kicked out of their homes?

Military Conflict WILL NOT end this conflict, in fact it will only further inflame the situation. Do you really think those who have loved ones killed will just throw down their arms and quit?

I know if you came into my city and killed my friends and family I would be much more sympathetic to any forces resisting you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

Among other biased views.

Stating that Hamas and Hezbollah are simply the "bad guys" is a clear sign of a lack of understanding about the situation.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

And what do you do when both sides belive this twisted logic? Escalation.

Yup, upping the anti has worked so far in the middle east...

What ever happened to being Righteous?

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

Guys, just ignore DC - his opinion is seriously skewed by that rod shoved up his rear. The fact remains that Israel have once again reacted entirely disproportionately. Their actions have probably cost the lives of their 2 servicemen and they have further bolstered support both for Hamas and Hezbollah.

I think its time for the international community to step up to the plate and kick some Israeli ass, because it is not Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria or Lebanon threatening to destabilise the middle east anymore, its Israel.

But wait, they aren't a Muslim country so I guess we'll just sit back and condemn them from our comfy armchairs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Israel Blockades Lebanon

Would it? or would everyone start taking hostages?

Page 3 of 248 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast