SAS unleash new weapon

UndisputedTruth

Apr 14, 2008
SAS troops have discovered a new secret weapon against al-Qaeda booby traps — party aerosol cans of silly STRING.

They spray the joke substance to expose virtually invisible trip wires in caves or darkened buildings they must enter.

The brightly-coloured string hangs across the wires, but is too light to set off explosives.

America has spent millions trying in vain to develop battle-ready imaging devices that can spot the deadly menace in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But the SAS — motto Who Dares Wins — have beaten them to a solution with the £1.69 cans of string they buy from WOOLWORTHS.

Their “Who Dares Strings” brainwave came from a senior NCO at a regimental Christmas bash at their HQ near Hereford.

One reveller let loose some string and it landed on fishing line holding up decorations. A source revealed: “Bingo, the idea was born.

“Now it works very successfully. There is no doubt that a considerable number of lives have been saved — and others have been spared from horrendous maiming.”

The Americans are said to be “totally gobsmacked” at the ingenuity. A senior security source said: “They have spent millions developing infra-red and ultra violet hi-tech imaging devices to show up tripwires.

But these are both bulky and not robust enough for combat conditions.

“However the SAS men just popped into Woolies in Hereford and bought several cans of silly string each.”

It’s cheap, it’s quick and it doesn’t need tech support or extensive training.”
Terrorism expert Chris Dobson said: “This is another example of the ingenuity of the British soldier.”

Silly sods should have bought a load of tins of silly string, camouflage painted them and sold them to other NATO nations for a small fortune.

woolworths went out of business years ago.

USA has to waste billions of taxpayer money on worthless defense projects. Remember Reagen's pet project star wars, shoot down missles woth other missles. Hasn't worked yet.

Reminds me of that story where NASA were supposedly trying to develop a pen that worked in space. They spent over $1,000,000 developing it. The Ruissians, when faced with the same problem, simply used pencils.

It could well be an urban legend though.

LOL!

I guess British newspapers never miss a chance to pander to nationalsim eh?

I'd be careful about being so quick to pat yourself on the back there for your countries Spec Ops ingenuity... even with that they are still playing lap dog to Bush and doing the bidding of American foreign policy in the middle east.

Maybe silly string isn't quite the victory it looks like.

Yeah but at least america realises it's spec ops are rubbish and out sources to English and Australian SAS.

Yep, it just happens to be true also.

/sarcasm on
US spec ops are so superior they don't use them. Makes sense to me
/sarcasm off

American spec ops are so second rate on a global scale that they are basicly never used outside their homeland. You can hate me for saying it as much as you want but it still stands true. How many international incidents have US spec ops been called on for? Bugger all compared to British or Australian SAS, or Israeli spec ops also. LOL

[X] You posted an "our special forces are better than your special forces" thread.

In punishment you must:

[X] Drop and give me 100 !!!

It worked perfectly---it forced the Soviet Union into an arms race so expensive their government-controlled communist economy could not keep up with it. They literally spent themselves out of existence.

As a scientist who worked on the initial stages of planning for "Star Wars", I can say the science was sound, there were successful tests, and a limited system could be operational any time there's a national will to implement one.

I think the million-dollar-pricetag is a legend, but the other facts are true. However, the pencil resulted in electrically-charged graphite-shavings floating around mission-critical electronics. It was not the sensational success the legend would have you believe.

As far as ingenuity in the military, I think no nation has a monopoly on that one. Most US helo pilots in Vietnam had relatives send them stockings from the states, because these, spread over the canopy, cut out the glare that made them so easy to spot and shoot. The Clint Eastwood movie, "Heartbreak Ridge" includes a scene based on actual fact: in the US invasion of Grenada, the communications systems between the ground forces and support didn't work as planned, so one soldier called in from a pay phone, using his calling card.

Back