Fuel problems & big Jeeps in the US

juang

Mar 23, 2008
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I watched a documentary on german TV on fuel problems & big jeeps being bought in the US. What were the fuel problems ? Mainly that it would run out at some point and that it got more and more expensive. Here is the irony: When I was watching the documentary the most things I saw driving on the street were big Jeeps and Pickups, consuming 20-30 litres/100 kms. And the ppls solutions when asked what they would do if the fuel ran out: "We just get more !"

A couple of ppl were asked specifially and here where their answers:

"If we have no more fuel ?Well, I hope the President redoes some laws so we can drill in natural reservations in Canada."

"Its all the fault of the arabs. They have our fuel and are making it so expensive."

"Who is more important ? Me or a bird !"

As can be seen from these responses not one person cared that their cars are consuming by the bucketload and also saw no problem in getting more fuel. What an arrogance and naivity. And what angered me most is that not one person thought about replacing their big 8 litre 4 * 4 maybe with a smaller car. As if its normal to drive 60 kms to work using a Jeep.

Christian

I have heard of similar response when ask about electricity: "Running of electrcity? We can always make more!" These kind of arrogance just makes me puke.

What i think is stupid. Is they say there is gonna me a mass crisus by 2030, but what are we doing about it lol. There are tonnes of alternate energy sources and tonnes of ways we could make things more efficient and save the planet but they cant be bothered heheh.

My mate always says 'sh happens' but doesn't quite seem to get that if we use up all our resources by 2030, nearly everyone will die :|

Has anyone seen the film 'Chain Reaction' I believe that the government has many ways of producing cleaner cheaper sources of energy but to put it on the market would bring the world to a halt. The powerful rich fatcats would lose billions from the car industries, petrol deposits (oil wells etc) and energy stations.

keep in mind no alternate source will be used until all fuel is depleted cause fuel is money,and they wont jeoprodize this source of income until they really have 2.

I share your sentiment whole-heartedly. I am an American who commutes approx. 25 miles each way daily and I made fuel efficiency a primary factor when selecting my current vehicle (a Neon compact sedan , which still only gets around 25 mpg; I would have purchased a Toyota Prius if I could have afforded it ).

It wouldn't be so bad if those who drove these monstrously inefficient fuel guzzlers would carpool once in a while. I get so infuriated when I see a single soccer mom or some suit with no passengers and no load whatsoever driving a giant hummer or a behemoth Ford Excursion on the freeway just because SUVs are fashionable(7 miles per gallon, and for what?!?! ). These are the same people who complain about gas prices being so high while never realizing that they have helped to push prices up by driving inefficient vehicles, thereby artificially increasing demand!

I think the whole issue is indicative of the astounding complacency that has overcome people all across the globe and especially in America. It never ceases to amaze me that despite our monumental technological achievements over the past century, we continue to dig in the dirt for fuels that cause damage to our environment and our health both when extracted and when burned. All the while we are surrounded by literally limitless clean energy in the form of the sun, wind and water (and, eventually, hydrogen).

Hopefully, we will realize soon that with a little effort and the proper investment, we can realistically resolve our energy woes.

You see the ting is we could have cars that did 5000 miles to the gallon (the world record is 13000) or cars that ran on water/fat or we could set up solar cells on the stacks of current power stations. Would be much more energy efficient.

Why am I not surprised at the ignorance of US Americans that they think their president has any bearing on Canadian law? We didn't go to war with you in Iraq, and we are not going to start ripping up our own country so you can drive SUVs.

What pissed me off also was that they portrayed a family owning three SUV's and the girl, who was at Uni, being one of them. I mean, what does a person at Uni need an SUV or Jeep for ? She has no family, nothing.
They also showed another Uni student in California getting his first car......a Hummer H3. The mothers viewpoint: Well, if Arnie can have one why not everyone else. Showing how much politicians have an influence on their ppl.

If someone here in Europe would get a first car its either a Renault Clio or a Ford Focus...they can't even imagine buying themselves a Hummer Jeep. Its too expensive, the fuel is too expensive and the running costs are immense for a first car.

Christian

Fuel problems & big Jeeps in the US

Why is it when some media type has an axe to grind and a point of view to find a way to back up people believe that this must be true? Yes there are people in the US who are clueless when it comes to energy conservation but there are a lot of people here who do believe in conservation. From what I have read they must have hand picked people/family’s that were spoiled and rich. I bet I can find plenty of the same type in most any country I go to. We are not the stupid hicks that many across the pond would like to believe and blame all the worlds problems on. I like many in this country drive a pickup but it’s a 6 cylinder with a manual shift. I also ride my bike quite a bit. The wife and kids cars are 4 and 6 cylinders.
The only thing that really gets me about the gas prices is the profit the oil companies made on us which was a record. As far as the price difference between the US and other countries the word is TAXES every one pays the same price for the crude oil.
We are starting to see more hybrid autos and they are coming out with hybrid trucks I hear next year.
By the way I also use fluorescent lights in my home to save on energy. I’m not a tree huger but like many people in the US we do know we need to start to conserve energy.
We also know Canada is a separate country, the big controversy is here is drilling in Alaska not in Canada.

By the way shouldn’t this be in Off Topic.

Punisher,
The whole thing is a bit silly though. It's not as if everyone in America own's an SUV. So to try to take the blanket approach is not really going to wash. Besides... it's not only the US that uses fuel at an alarming rate. The entire western world does. That includes the UK and Germany and just about everyone in Europe.

Heating and manufacturing are two of the largest consumers of oil and oil by products... so if we really want to start bitching there are many other factors included.

You make is sound as if every American has a Hummer in the driveway. Have you ever lived in America? Or did you just get all of this from a TV program you watched?

The general trend of US vehicles is for them to be pretty damn big though.

If you must drive a big car, a simple way to improve the efficiency is to switch to a manual. Though this probably won't go down well in the US, as I think it's the case that American drivers are the most unskilled in the western world.

An even better way is to go diesel.
Immense efficiency on the motorways.

It's unrealistic to simply point the blame at the USA. There are people driving 'thirsty' cars everywhere.

All I'd say about the USA is that there is perhaps less disincentive to drive 'gas-guzzlers' there because their petrol prices are so cheap compared to ours!

Taff you mean Americans drive automatics? But they're for people with disabilities!

Just every other person

I went in Feb this year and couldn't believe how big all the vehicles are, there enormous! A car thats big in the UK would be a compact over there. And combined with everything being miles away there must be far more petrol used per person?

Heating costs must be lower, but with use of air conditioning being widespread that must make a real impact.

No, I have nothing against Americans in general.

However, good old anecdotal evidence will tell you that the American driving test is an absolute doss compared to, say, the UK one.

In addition, everyone seems to drive an automatic, which requires no skill at all.

Grid like road system, very straight, wide roads.

Wide spaces in car parks that are angled so you can pull into them with ridiculous ease.

You don't have the relatively high number of winding country lanes with 60mph speed limits that the UK does.

etc etc

Back