Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fuel problems & big Jeeps in the US

My experience of American drivers is fairly limited, but on the whole they seemed to be a lot more laid-back over there. The exception being in Massachusetts, where everyone seems to drive like an idiot for some reason. According to friends of mine who live there, people in other states refer to them as 'Mass Holes' due to their levels of driving prowess.

Coming from England I found their appalling driving to be perfectly normal! (Recent surveys have shown that we have the rudest and most aggressive drivers in Europe.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Naughty

Downloads
    Uploads

However, good old anecdotal evidence will tell you that the American driving test is an absolute doss compared to, say, the UK one. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm. But last I checked there were still accidents of every type and kind in the UK as well.

I don't know where you go this from. When I was there all my vehicles were always manual. As were my parents. As were most of my friends.

errmm... and that means? So are we now expecting Americans to be good at driving on UK roads or inner city roads like they have in Paris and Italy?

What does that have to do with driving. I can safely assure... having lived and commuted into and out of LA every day that you are making some gros generalizations that have little to do with driving ability. What's the point of comparing the way Americans drive in their own environment to that of the UK or Europe. Obviously it's apples to oranges in terms of driving environment. It's a bit like trying to blame a cat for not being a dog.

What does it matter. Last I checked Americans weren't flocking to the UK to drive on those winding country lanes... so the comparison is ludicrous.

Downloads
    Uploads

I could be really nasty and say 'Exactly!'

But I'm not, so I won't.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even if our driving test is harder (and I don't know if this is the case or not) the fact is that our roads are full of terrible drivers.

Believe me, I do a lot of miles every day, and it scares me just how dangerous some drivers are on our motorways. (Never mind all the others who are merely poor or inconsiderate drivers.)

I grew up thinking that our drivers, like our football referees, were the envy of the world. Now I realise that neither are true.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most are automatics here. With the traffic problems we have manual transmissions don't last long. I've personally gone through two clutches in one vehicle and at 600 dollars a pop it's not worth it. A well maintained automatic can outlast two engines. Of course if you have a problem with an automatic it will probably cost more then the vehicle is worth to fix.

...and you're right diesel is actually more effective.

You should actually change you're transmission oil as often if not more then your engine oil.

Downloads
    Uploads

ah yeah... forgot about that... what's the old addage?

If you can't find em... grind em.

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn it, I fell for that AGAIN!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Believe it or not I routinely had to drive twenty miles to work one way and quite frequently I'd only make it to second gear the whole way. I had a lot of opportunities to practice double-clutching (I think you call it de-clutching) while it was going out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never managed to actually grind gears whilst driving....but I have managed to miss gears completely (I've had some cars with....shall I say- "less than postitive" gear sticks)
    Leaving me in neutral as I try to exit a roundabout. Oh dear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast