Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What credentials do I need to teach a martial art?

I have a professor that asked me if I wanted to start a martial arts club under his instruction. More specifically - Eskrima. We aren't an officially sanctioned club.

I am currently the one trying to start this up, but the thing is I have no idea if this is even legal or not.

We are not an official club yet at school as we need at least ten signatures from students. We only have three students interested and we have indeed started learning a few things as we meet once a week. We practice at a park and nobody seems to bat an eye. My professor stated that he has indeed taught before and has even taught cops, but he has never mentioned any certification or specific organization.

Something just doesn't seem right here. I feel like we would also need some sort of waiver or insurance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Non

Waiver or insurance is basically there to protect the club / teachers

Downloads
    Uploads
    General rule of thumb is that if you need to ask then you shouldn't teach. But there is no real requirement unless you are going to join an organization. Then the organization will have its own requirements you must meet.

Insurance is for a business and for a simple club I don't think it's mandatory.(though it would be nice) Waiver is for the protection of the teacher or the organizer stating that they are not responsible. If there is no waiver and there is an injury they could be held liable. So not a need once again, more of just good ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No credentials are needed to teach a martial art.

None.

Now, ideally, you should be pretty advanced. But there's no requirement. Lloyd Irvin (who runs a big martial arts school in Maryland and has helped train some MMA fighters) began teaching Brazilian jiu jitsu when he was a blue belt.

My son was an assistant instructor at a karate school that taught grappling when he was just a BJJ blue belt.

Being an "official club" has nothing to do with anything.

Your question about a waiver or insurance has to do with liability and asset protection. Yes, you'd be better off with that.

Hope that helps.