Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Open hand strikes in Martial Arts?

How important are these in a street fight, or any fight for that matter? Because most fights tend to start with closed fists, even when you watch professional fights on TV or YouTube between like Karate and Kung Fu, it's basically just kicks and closed fists. When and how often are open hand strikes used?

Downloads
    Uploads
    palm striking the ears is very effective. open hand strikes are used in closer range than fists, so you have to be kinda close to him to use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I teach fists to beginners. It simply protects the fingers better. When you are advanced then the hands are always open. Open hands are faster. Even in a punch you make the tight fist just before impact but it travels loose.
    There are hundreds of Kung Fu styles but Shaolin Kung Fu has lots of open hand techniques. Watch their forms. It's the forms where you can find the definition of a fight. The fights themselves are very much standardized to fit the rules of tournaments.
    Great question BTW.

@D Not really, I use open hands regardless if you are close or far away. My hands only are tight when I need to use my fist to hit you with.