Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Judaism: What is the Jewish view toward atheists?

One of the concepts that perturb me about Christianity and Islam (there are many things, but this is just one), is how atheists are viewed, and by extension, treated. The Bible even resorts to name calling by labeling them as fools. In my opinion, an omnibenevolent G-d would not call his children that. Humans certainly would, but not an omnibenevolent G-d. Even if someone doesn’t believe in G-d, I don’t believe this makes them any less of a person, certainly not a fool, and I think they should still be respected and accepted for their way of thinking. This is not something done in Christian or Islamic texts, so I was curious what Jewish texts say.

BQ: I’m also curious why I’ve never seen Jews criticize and/or attack atheists for their nonbelief in their questions and comments here. Is it out of respect, do you not care what they think, are you just here to answer Judaism questions and nothing else, etc.?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm an atheist who lives in Texas and down here, I barely know of anyone who is Jewish...the few I've seen on TV say they are but it seems to be a reference to the culture they were raised in more than what they actually believe.
    There's only one I'm certain was on here and that was a few years ago. She had a different perspective on some OT story but after she realized I don't even believe in the basic concept of a mono deity, she quit writing to me. It was nothing rude-it was just clear she wasn't going to waste her time on someone who obviously wasn't going to 'just believe'.

So in short, IDK what their view is but in general, they seem a lot more willing to just 'let it go'.