While talking to SCEA Marketing Maven Peter Dille earlier this month, we slipped onto the topic of SOCOM Confrontations, the online only PS3 shooter that will be sold as a downloadable title in the Sony store. I told him I was surprised that such a strong franchise would make its Playstation 3 debut in a form that didn't include a single-player campaign. Dille said Confrontation was a chance for the developers to focus on a specific type of play for a specific type of player and that it wouldn't be the only SOCOM game coming to the PS3.
"In the case of SOCOM: Confrontation, the SOCOM franchise has been around for awhile and (the developers) were focused on a style of play that hasn't been tapped yet," Dille said. "I don't think people should conclude that it will be the be all and end all of the SOCOM franchise."
The idea that SOCOM 4 or something like it will be coming to the Playstation 3 is sort of a no-brainer, but it does the heart good to hear that coming straight from SCEA's mouth. Brian Crecente
</img>

More...