Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turn a sport bike into a tourer?

Hi, I’ve been riding a BMW R100RT for 13 years. I’m now getting this incredible urge for more power. (It’s as slow as a Harley). I prefer a touring bike because of it’s versatility, I can haul groceries, camping gear, or take the bags off and go run the twisty’s. My problem is that I won’t buy a bike that weighs over 500 lbs. I just can’t see any sense in it, and they don’t build touring bikes that light any more.

I know the one exception is the F800ST & GT, but I’d still have to modify them to suit me. Since I’d have to do that anyway, why not modify a sport bike? So...Im just wondering if anyone has done this or might know where there are pics of someone having converted a sport bike into a tourer. I’m just not sure how to go about it. I am mechanically inclined enough to do the work myself.

I’ve read 3 answers and find I need to be a little more specific. What I want to do is buy a sports bike like a Triumph 675, bring the handle bars back to a upright seating position, install a tall windshield, and add saddle bags. A cruiser is out because I’m not going to ride something that starts dragging before I stop leaning! Besides, they all weigh more than 500 lbs. With the technology we have today I don't see any reason to ride a overweight pig.... or is that hog, LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I would go out buy a cruiser or touring bike. I ride a Goldwing 1800 riding 50 yrs

Downloads
    Uploads
    first of all any twin cam can easily do 130 to 140 MPH I didnt know that was slow. In fact my 71 shovel FLH can easily do 130. As for your small problem there are sport touring bikes. Another thought is to simply do some things to the bike your riding such as have the heads flowed. In fact having the heads flowed and a set of cams from megacycle and your old machine will easily make more HP than can you could ever need. Magacycle will custom grind any cam you want for any application. My point is you already have a bike that has done what you need and why not just do some performance upgrade to it and then your old bike is still doing what you want and is faster as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're fairly opinionated for someone that wants a good touring motorcycle. If you haven't ever looked at a Honda Goldwing let me share with you a link on how they handle under extreme conditions. As for HD's being slow. None that I've ever rode or rode with would fit that description. Every one of them would climb right up into triple digits and then some. But perhaps you can't handle a Goldwing. At any rate here is the link to show you what a Wing properly ridden can do, all with the equipment, and a drink holder.