Hi, I’ve been riding a BMW R100RT for 13 years. I’m now getting this incredible urge for more power. (It’s as slow as a Harley). I prefer a touring bike because of it’s versatility, I can haul groceries, camping gear, or take the bags off and go run the twisty’s. My problem is that I won’t buy a bike that weighs over 500 lbs. I just can’t see any sense in it, and they don’t build touring bikes that light any more.

I know the one exception is the F800ST & GT, but I’d still have to modify them to suit me. Since I’d have to do that anyway, why not modify a sport bike? So...Im just wondering if anyone has done this or might know where there are pics of someone having converted a sport bike into a tourer. I’m just not sure how to go about it. I am mechanically inclined enough to do the work myself.

I’ve read 3 answers and find I need to be a little more specific. What I want to do is buy a sports bike like a Triumph 675, bring the handle bars back to a upright seating position, install a tall windshield, and add saddle bags. A cruiser is out because I’m not going to ride something that starts dragging before I stop leaning! Besides, they all weigh more than 500 lbs. With the technology we have today I don't see any reason to ride a overweight pig.... or is that hog, LOL!