Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What should I major in? Psychology, business, or nutrition?

I've been thinking about this quite often lately, since I need to write my personal statements soon, and I need to figure out my major and apply to colleges within the next couple of months, For the last couple of months I've been wanting to major in psychology, and I still do, but I've been questioning that choice since my parents don't want me to be in school for so long, but in order to make any kind of decent money studying psychology, I'd probably end up getting a doctorate. Psychology is something that I'm very interested in, but I don't even know if a job as any kind of psychologist would suit me. I'd like to be able to help people, so I would like to be a clinical psychologist, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I'm outgoing enough to handle that kind of job, as I'm very withdrawn, and fairly shy/awkward around people I don't know well. However, I'm a good listener and enjoy helping people.
    I've also considered majoring in business, because I wouldn't have to go to college for as long and I would end up making the same amount as a psychologist. The problem with this is that I've only recently considered going into business, and I'm not sure what area of business I would pursue.
    I'm also very interested in nutrition, so my parents keep telling me I should go into that and become a nutritionist, but i'm not sure I would want to do that for a living plus I want to make more money than that..
    Psychology interests me the most, I could do a lot with a degree in business, or I could become a nutritionist. I also have a huge interest in Japan and Japanese culture and am considering getting a job where I can work in Japan.
    My parents will only allow me to have a max of one major and one minor.. they might let me pursue a double-major but they don't want me to stay in college for too long.
    If it helps any, I'd like to help people if possible in the future. I want to like my job. I'm an introvert and somewhat shy, but I'm sure I can get past that; I can already tell I'm better at speaking with people than I was a few years ago. I want to make a decent amount of money and get a well-paying job.

Thanks ahead.

Although psychology is an interest for you it doesn't necessarily mean you would like to make it a career - the reason all men don't become gynecologists.

I would recommend starting with business classes for obvious reasons - you can take a lot more from that education than you could with psychology because you can apply it to any career.

Nutritionist I would probably not recommend because based on what you had to say about it, it definitely seems more like a hobby/interest than something you want to spend the rest of your life working around.

Sounds like you think the same way as me and you want to choose the highest paying job possible without sacrificing career satisfaction. I decided on plastic cosmetic surgeon - I wanted a career in the medical field, with high satisfaction and VERY high pay (I'm going for just about the best paying medical job you could get). However I didn't just think of it and decide automatically that I wanted to be a surgeon - I thought it over very carefully just like you're thinking carefully about whether or not to be a psychologist.

Just lay out all of your options. Consider everything you want to be - if you have any doubts about one thing in particular, like a nutritionist, forget it. You already know in the back of your mind you don't want it, so don't try and talk yourself into it. Make a complex pro and con list - pros and cons for each career, and if the cons outweigh the pros on one career forget it. Then compare the pros in your remaining careers and let the best job win.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stop hiding your power level. I can see it oozing from the screen.
    I think you should go for psychology honestly, every downside you said can be fixed with time. Such as being awkward and going for a doctorate. Your parents may not want you to go to school long, but thats thinking short term, look at the long term benefits.